Chief of Staff to the President
- California State University, Monterey Bay
- California, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 29, 2022
- Position Type
- Executive, Chancellors & Presidents
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Chief of Staff to the President
Job no: 519925
Work type: Management (MPP)
Location: Monterey Bay
Categories: MPP, Administrative, At-Will, Full Time
Classification: Administrator IV
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
CSU Salary Schedule
Hours: Full-time / 40 hours per week
Priority Screening Date: November 15, 2022
Recruitment Status: Open Until Filled
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives with a focus on student success and engagement through experiential learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. With a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,400 students. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and an Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
The university's Strategic Plan prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university's faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below market rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff.
The Chief of Staff to the President assists the President in planning and executing a wide range of complex and sensitive executive and administrative duties related to policy development, academic, fiscal, and administrative programs and represents the President to other senior staff, the campus, and to the community at large.
The President is the Chief Executive Officer of the University and ultimately is responsible for all operational and strategic aspects of the University, including student recruitment, retention and graduation; academic policies and programs; state and non-state operating budgets; personnel policies and procedures; external outreach, collaboration and fund-raising, etc
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serves as chief liaison for the President with internal and external constituents; supports Presidential advisory boards and committees; establishes professional contacts for the President as requested; represents the President at campus, CSUMB systemwide and external meetings and events in a variety of settings as appropriate; and participates in national and state higher education organizations enhancing the visibility and reputation of CSUMB.
- Serves as eyes and ears of the President with campus individuals and groups; identifies and alerts the President and Vice Presidents to potential problems or difficulties with policies and procedures.
- Directs the resolution of issues raised by students, faculty, staff or others by referring to the appropriate Cabinet member or others to respond and coordinate with respondents to ensure successful and timely resolution.
- Interacts with general counsel regarding university legal matters and issues and provides input and recommendations to the President as necessary.
LEADERSHIP AND PEOPLE MANAGEMENT
- Works with the Executive Assistant to the President to manage the many and diverse requests and requirements of the President's Office, including responding to students, faculty and staff, other administrators, and external visitors; overseeing mandatory reports to the Chancellor's Office and external agencies, ensuring deadlines are met; reviewing and editing documents and correspondence drafted by others for the President's signature; hiring and supervising staff and administering the budget for the President office.
Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of academic and administrative programs and organizational structures; higher education current issues, best practices, benchmarking, accreditation standards, and student retention models. Considerable knowledge of the regulations and executive orders governing the CSU.
- Ability to interact effectively and work collegially and respectful with diverse perspectives and personalities; plan, organize, set priorities and effectively coordinate responsibilities; work independently or as a member of a team; exercise diplomacy and good judgment and discretion; be aware of the President's priorities at all times.
- Superior written and oral communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to facilitate open discussions, collaborate with and respond to multiple constituencies, and write clear and concise reports
- Required Education: Bachelor degree from an accredited institution or equivalent.
- Required Experience: Five to eight years upper management experience including experience with administrative, governance, budget, and personnel policies and processes.
- Successful experience in public, four-year institution of higher education within a collective bargaining environment.
- Experience resolving conflicts, problem solving and encouraging partnerships and collaboration.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS/DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE:
Technical fluency with Oracle/PeopleSoft, CSU Common Management System or equivalent student information system; Microsoft Office Professional Suite, and Google mail and calendaring programs.
PhD or JD degree preferred. Experience serving at the level of Associate Vice President or Dean is highly desirable.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT AND POSITION DESIGNATIONS:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority (CSA). The position is required to participate in training at the direction of the Clery Director and must also promptly report allegations of reportable crimes according to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, its accompanying regulations; the California State Education Code, Chapter 15.5, of the Donahoe Higher Education Act, Section 67380; and the California State University system-wide policy, Code EO 1107.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position authority to commit financial resources of the university through contracts greater than $10,000; access to and responsibility for detailed personally identifiable Level 1 confidential information about students, faculty, staff or alumni that is protected, personal or sensitive as defined in the CSU Information Security Data Classification Standards and control over campus business processes, either through functional roles or system security access.
- This position is a designated position in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file a Statement of Economic Interest subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
- Will require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time.
The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. While on campus, students, faculty, staff, and the community will be expected to follow all campus safety mandates.
Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Interim Policy, all students and employees are required to submit their vaccination status to the Otter Vaccination Registry and are encouraged to be vaccinated.
This is a management level position with an attractive benefits package, which includes: a vacation accrual rate of 16 hours per month; an excellent choice of medical, dental and vision insurance; long term disability coverage; life insurance; educational incentives; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14 paid holidays a year. For more information, visit CSU System Benefits. Additionally, as a perk, the University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability; visit Schoonover Employee Housing for more information.
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at Careers at CSUMB. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389 or email email@example.com. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics, you can view the notice of availability and access the Cal State University, Monterey Bay annual security and fire safety reports at https://csumb.edu/clery/asr-and-fsr-notices-availability/.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
To apply, visit https://careers.csumb.edu/en-us/job/519925/chief-of-staff-to-the-president
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert