Assistant Professor of Human Development and Family Science
- California State University, Monterey Bay
- California, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 28, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Social & Behavioral Sciences, Human Development & Family Sciences
- Employment Level
- Tenured/Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Assistant Professor of Human Development and Family Science
Job no: 517969
Work type: Instructional Faculty - Tenured/Tenure-Track
Location: Monterey Bay
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Tenured/Tenure-Track, Full Time, Faculty - Human Development
Classification: Academic Year Faculty
Priority Screening Date: Extended - October 14, 2022
Recruitment Status: Open Until Filled
Appointment Date: Fall 2023
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives through a focus on student success and engagement through project-based learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and has a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,400 students.
The university's Strategic Plan prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university's faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below-market rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff.
The Department of Human Development and Family Science in the College of Education at CSUMB invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor in Human Development and Family Science (HDFS) who will contribute to teaching and research in early child development. The position is a full-time, academic year, tenure-track appointment.
- Design and teach courses leading to a bachelor's degree in Human Development and Family Science with a focus on Early Development
- Design and teach courses offered by the Human Development and Family Science program as part of General Education, First Year Seminar, and/or other University Requirements
- Participate in the development of an outcomes-based curriculum
- Mentor undergraduate students
- Engage in scholarly activities leading to publication
- Participate in department, college, university, and community service
- Ph.D. in Human Development, Family Science/Studies, Developmental Psychology, Early Childhood Education, or related fields
- ABD will be considered if degree is conferred by the first day of employment
- Demonstrated ability to teach effectively, or potential for effective teaching of undergraduate courses in Human Development and Family Science
- Record of or demonstrated potential for successful research and publication
- Background in early child development, development science, and/or family science theory and research
- Strong background in developmental science and/or family science theory and research
- Demonstrated commitment to working with a diverse student population and in diverse communities
- Research activity on early child development, preschool settings, teacher development, parenting and families with young children, and/or similar research areas
- Demonstrated ability or potential to mentor students in research and in applied research settings
- Successful ability to conduct research leading to publication in areas relevant to the college, department, and program's mission
- Interest in collaborations and outreach with local community organizations, social services, and educational institutions for children and families
- Experience working in diverse, multilingual communities such as those that comprise the Monterey Bay and tri-county region
- Evidence of or potential for department, college, university, and community service and leadership
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
The incumbent is required to maintain confidentiality as outlined in the Department of Education's Family Educational Rights and Privacy and California's Educational Code Chapter 13 regarding sensitive student issues.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
Working in the State of California is a condition of employment.
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $75,000 - $80,000
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding health, dental & vision plans; a fee waiver education program; and membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS). For more information, visit: CSU Benefits Summary. Additionally, University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability, visit: Schoonover Employee Housing.
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application and submit required documents by the priority screening date found at csumb.edu/jobs. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
Requests for information should be addressed to: Dr. Kimi Crossman, HDFS Search Committee Chair, Human Development and Family Science Department, California State University, Monterey Bay, CA. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State University, Monterey Bay Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://csumb.edu/clery
The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. While on campus, students, faculty, staff, and the community will be expected to follow all campus safety mandates.
Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Interim Policy, all students and employees are required to submit their vaccination status to the Otter Vaccination Registry and are encouraged to be vaccinated.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
To apply, visit https://careers.csumb.edu/en-us/job/517969/assistant-professor-of-human-development-and-family-science
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert