Facilities Technician, University Center
- University of Montana
- Montana, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 28, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant, Auxiliary Services
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana – Missoula, University of Montana Western (Dillon), and Helena College. Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com * .
Staff Vacancy Announcement
The University Center invites applications for two (2) Facilities Technicians . This position performs work of lower-level facilities positions and works autonomously requiring minimal supervision, provides direct customer service to members of the campus and to the community at large. Builds and maintains a work atmosphere of trust and respect by establishing open communication among team members; recognizing the value of individual differences at all levels of the organization; taking steps to prevent destructive conflict and handling conflict in an appropriate manner; listening and responding appropriately to the needs, feelings and capabilities of all individuals; and providing support and assistance to team members.
Performs advanced custodial work or responsibilities that are highly complex in nature (ex: an individual who has the ability and is called upon to deep clean, polish, seal, finish, etc. any type of flooring on a consistent basis). Able to effectively multitask and meet provided deadlines. Submits time and material estimates for special projects. Performs multiple specialized duties.
Specialized duties include, but are not limited to:
- Acting as a special projects team leader
- Acting as the designated trainer in multiple areas of expertise
- Performing specialized floor cleaning, restoration and/or refinishing such as gym rubber flooring, wood floors, wool carpet, and Terrazzo floors
- Holding a number of advanced certifications and performing the accompanying duties (certifications include: stone floor restoration, water damage restoration, specialized floor cleaning, polishing and refinishing, upholstery cleaning, mold remediation)
- Performing as a generalist who is a specialist in nearly all areas
- Coordinating custodial services, event set-up services and conducting general training
- Inspecting the work completed by others and performing evaluations of student workers
- Provides feedback regarding hiring, disciplining, recognizing, and terminating student employees;
- Interviews perspective student employees and maintains work and employee files
- Knowledge and skill equivalent to a high school education.
- Knowledge, skill and ability required to perform duties and responsibilities of lower-level facilities positions.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and maintain a safe work environment;
- Work effectively in a team environment;
- Work effectively when by themselves to manage the operations of the building;
- Create and maintain a work atmosphere of trust and respect with all team members;
- Work with a variety of diverse groups of individuals effectively;
- Read instructions, safety information, policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated skill in customer service; written and interpersonal communication, listening and oral communication; organization and time-management.
- Must be able to operate specialized equipment, provide general training where appropriate, and maintain appropriate records.
- Must have the ability to develop and obtain knowledge of specialized custodial applications, computerized mechanical control systems (Johnson Controls) and computerized room reservation software (Event Management System).
- Three (3) years of experience in directly related custodial experience, or a combination of experience and education.
- Supervisory experience is preferred.
- Ability to supervise others in the completion of custodial duties; event set-up duties; provide meaningful evaluations; provide general training where appropriate; operate specialized equipment; maintain appropriate records; and develop and obtain specialized custodial knowledge.
The University Center is the heart of The University of Montana. It is a gathering place with an atmosphere that is welcoming, full of activity, and alive with diversity. As a bridge between formal classroom learning and life experience, activities coordinated by the University Center work in harmony with the mission of the University. It provides opportunities to develop leadership skills while enhancing an appreciation for responsibility through active student involvement and employment.
The University Center serves the university community by providing information resources; a variety of quality, convenient services; a multitude of cultural programs; educational and entertaining events; and recreational and leisure activities; while offering a place for free expression and creative ideas
UC Building Services provides support services to the University Center.
UC Building Services
- Maintains a setting conducive to being a place to seek out friends, food, entertainment, goods & services, and a place to read and study by providing a clean efficient, well lit, climate-controlled facility.
- Provides set-up services for events and tends to client needs.
- Provides work experiences with some supervisory and leadership opportunities for students.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Facilities Technician
Position Number: 116230, 116400
Department: University Center
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Position #1 : Thursday through Sunday 6:00 am to 4:00 pm, 12 months/year. Position #2 : Monday-Thursday, 6:00 am to 4:00 pm, 12 months/year.
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan,
partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with university regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
Must be eligible to work in the United State upon hire. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
How to Apply
The priority deadline has passed however, this position is still accepting applications.
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
* Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert