- Princeton University
- New Jersey, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 27, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant
- Employment Level
- Non-Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Job ID: 2022-16155
# of Openings: 1
Category: Facilities Management and Physical Plant
The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a world-class fusion energy research laboratory managed by Princeton University for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. PPPL is dedicated to developing the scientific and technological knowledge base for fusion energy. The Laboratory advances the fields of fusion energy and plasma physics research to develop the scientific understanding and key innovations needed to realize fusion as an energy source for the world. The HVAC Technician will be responsible for the installation, preventative maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of various HVAC/R equipment and control systems. The technician will coordinate with other groups within the Department and throughout the Laboratory to ensure long-term, safe, and efficient operation of HVAC and Refrigeration systems.
- 70% : Install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair a wide variety
of HVAC and Refrigeration equipment, as well as support
commissioning efforts, on-going sustainability initiatives and
energy efficiency programs at the Laboratory. Technician utilizes
thorough knowledge of heating and air-conditioning theory,
mechanical layouts, pipefitting, electrical and electronic theory,
direct digital controls, airflow, pneumatic systems, hydronic
systems, and other techniques.
- 10% : Assist with work in the shops when necessary to support
other trades, severe weather work, corrective, and preventative
maintenance activities on facilities infrastructure, mechanical,
electro-mechanical, hydronic and/or pneumatic systems.
- 10% : Coordinate the activities of subcontract personnel to
maintain continued and efficient operation of all building heating,
cooling and ventilation systems.
- 10% : Perform Other Duties as assigned by Supervisor
Education and Experience:
- Education: High School Education or GED equivalent
- Some formal post High School vocational education in HVAC/R.
- Completion of a Journeyman level training program in HVAC/R or Associate's degree in HVAC/R.
- A strategic goal of PPPL is diversifying the community of operations staff, scientists and engineers, ensuring equitable access, and making the STEM fields more accessible and inclusive. With this in mind, we will take into consideration equivalent work and personal experiences as well as efforts in education, outreach or other related service activities.
- Five (5) years of experience with the troubleshooting, service, and repair of heating, air conditioning and refrigeration systems to include digital control systems at the Journeyman level.
- Experience with pneumatic control installation, troubleshooting and repair.
- Ability to independently service and maintain hydronic heating and cooling systems.
- Ability to work overtime, off-shifts, weekends, and holidays.
- Maintain good communication between departments and other shop personnel. Maintain good customer service relationships.
- Reads and understands blueprints, schematics, wiring diagrams and layouts.
- Brazing, soldering, and industry standard pipe joining techniques.
- Centrifugal chiller operation and service experience is a plus.
- Experience in the troubleshooting and repair of exhaust systems.
- General knowledge of the National Electric Code, Life Safety Code, OSHA and standard industry practices. Conform to industry standards concerning safety, lock-out/tag-out, inspections, and operations when dealing with electrical systems. Maintain high consciousness of safety for all personnel and areas involved.
- EPA Certified Universal Technician in accordance with Section 608 to handle CFC’s, HCFC’s and HFC’s.
- NJ Blue Seal Refrigeration is preferred
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Ability to work at heights
- Ability to work with exposure to plant hazards (steam/electrical/mechanical/radiological).
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert