Assistant Director Housing Services- Upperclass Students
- Northeastern University
- Massachusetts, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 23, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Student Affairs, Residence Life
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Assistant Director Housing Services- Upperclass Students
About the Opportunity
To enhance the mission of the Department of Housing and Residential Life, the Assistant Director of Housing Services for Upperclass Students will report to the Associate Director in aspects of the upperclassmen student housing experience including engagement with upperclassmen students, participation in Housing Selection & Placement Process events, and completing upperclassman housing assignments outside of student self-selection processes.
The Assistant Director needs the ability to work in a team environment and communicate with a diverse community including staff, students, and families. The Assistant Director requires significant interaction with students and their families. The Assistant Director, along with the Housing Services team, is expected to contribute to providing daily customer service via email, phone, Teams/Zoom, or in-person communications with students, families, and other staff.
The Assistant Director also requires technical skill in utilizing housing software to complete assignments, manage processes, provide reports, and access data. The Assistant Director is responsible for processes requiring logistical thinking, reasoning, and creative problem solving.
Housing Services is open on evenings and weekends during peak seasons such as, but not limited to, move-in/outs, Housing Selection & Placement Process, new student assignments, and summer Orientations. Additionally, Housing Services is open on several University floating holidays and break periods. The Assistant Director must provide evening, weekend, and holiday coverage in collaboration with Housing Services team, as needed during these extended business hours.
Bachelor's degree in Higher Education Administration, Hospitality Management, Communications, or other field required; Master's degree preferred. The ideal candidate has 1-3 years' experience on College/University setting with background in Housing & Residential Life Administration or related field.
Candidate must have the flexibility to work on several projects concurrently and must demonstrate sensitivity in working with confidential matters. Candidate must demonstrate sound judgement and analytical skills, attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy, and ability to work under pressure with a positive attitude.
Candidate must be able to work effectively in a culturally diverse environment and possess enthusiasm for higher education and have an overall commitment to excellence in customer service.
Experience with housing software or other university systems and Microsoft Excel is preferred.
Candidate must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills. Experience with customer service and with large group public presentations is preferred.
Upperclass Student Housing Assignment Processes | Essential
- Assist the Associate Directors in creation of processes and initiatives related to upperclassman students.
- Complete upperclassman housing assignments for students with approved medical accommodations.
- Complete upperclassman housing assignments from student preference forms.
- Manage Resident Assistant assignments in collaboration with Residential Life.
- Develop understanding of complex housing term transitions, called move-to-from, to assist with assignments, move dates, and petitions.
- Develop skill utilizing the housing information system (RMS Mercury) as a Super User.
- Educate upperclassman students on All Gender Housing options.
- Communicate effectively with key campus partners related to upperclassman students including LGBTQ Resource Center, Global Experience Office, Student Financial Services, Honors Program, and We Care.
Customer Service and Department Representation | Essential
- Provide individualized customer service via phone, email, Teams, Zoom, and in person to maximize student satisfaction with housing processes and technology.
- Develop a thorough understanding of housing processes and their technological components and answer student and parent inquiries regarding both aspects.
- Attend undergraduate preview days and open houses to provide housing information through tabling and/or presentations.
- Prepare and present presentations in conjunction with the Associate Director and Director for events such as undergraduate Orientations, Open Houses, and Family & Friends Weekend.
- Serve as point-person to Residential Life staff for all upperclassman residential student housing concerns.
- Provide evening, weekend, and holiday coverage in collaboration with Housing Services team, as needed, during extended business hours. Housing Services is open on evenings and weekends during peak seasons such as, but not limited to, move-in/outs, Housing Selection & Placement Process, new student assignments, and summer Orientations. Additionally, Housing Services is open on several University floating holidays and break periods.
Occupancy Management & Petition Process | Essential
- Assist in semesterly audit processing to ensure accurate student rosters and billing.
- Communicate via Teams, email, in-person, and/or phone with students referred for room changes.
- Collaborate with the other Assistant Director for Housing Services in managing vacancies to best manage occupancy.
- Assist the Associate Director with review of cancellation petition requests.
- Process leaves of absence requests, University withdrawals, and conduct sanctions that impact housing, in collaboration with the Housing Coordinator.
Summer & Intersession Housing Initiatives | Essential
- In collaboration with the Assistant Director for First Year students, responsible for assignment of Summer I, including NUterm, and Summer II housing through established timelines of the Department.
- Assist the Associate Director in creation of processes and initiatives related to summer and intersession housing.
- Collaborate with the Global Experience Office and Athletics regarding summer consolidation housing needs.
- Responsible for assignment and billing of summer consolidation housing.
- Responsible for assignments, communications, and access coordination for students and Resident Assistants needing temporary housing for any residence hall closures over Winter break.
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit www.northeastern.edu/benefits for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Boston-MA-Main-Campus/Assistant-Director-Housing-Services--Upperclass-Students_R111689-1
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert