HUMAN RESOURCES ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
- San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
- California, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 23, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Human Resources Administration
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
HUMAN RESOURCES ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Close/First Review Date: 01/15/2023
Campus Location: District Office
The Human Resources Administrative Assistant reports to the Associate Vice Chancellor of Human Resources at the District Office. The work schedule is 12 months per year; Monday - Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
This is a Confidential position.
Under general supervision, the Human Resources Administrative Assistant is responsible for performing a variety of administrative duties and providing support to the Office of Human Resources. The position performs a variety of support services in one or more human resources area, including but not limited to, personnel services, employment verification, maintenance of personnel files, and employee correspondences, etc. Incumbent assigned in this classification is exposed to sensitive information with respect to employer-employee relations during negotiation process and is designated as Confidential classification.
NATURE and SCOPE
This position provides basic administrative support to the head of Human Resources Department with responsibility for various service areas; performs clerical and standard office operational tasks; and supports various communications and activities for the administrator, other HR team members, district staff, vendors and the public. The incumbent in this position must possess knowledge and understanding of the district, including the diverse employee and student population. The position reports to the head of Human Resources, but may receive functional direction from other Human Resources staff members.
KEY DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Exercise judgment, in accordance with parameters set by administrator, in relieving administrator of actions not requiring their immediate attention.
2. Perform confidential secretarial and administrative activities for the Human Resources Office; screen telephone calls, incoming mails, publications, and other correspondences.
3. Receive visitors and callers, provide information as requested, and refer callers to proper administrator or department as appropriate.
4. Assist the administrator by preparing a variety of materials including letters, schedules, agendas and minutes from notes, rough drafts, and verbal instructions.
5. Support HR team members with the day-to-day operations in the HR office, including but not limited to: recruitment and hiring, benefits administration, billing reconciliation, personnel records keeping, and other office duties etc.
6. Enter and maintain finger prints and tuberculosis clearances for regular employees; notify and follow up with employees when a clearance has expired.
7. Respond to requests of employment verifications from various entities. Work with payroll and other HR staff to gather and submit payroll information for employment verification inquires.
8. Initiate, maintain, and update a variety of personnel files and other confidential information with extreme discretion.
9. Maintain calendar and appointments of the administrator, including lodging and travel arrangements.
10. Serve as secretary to committees, prepare agendas, take and transcribe minutes, collect and distribute materials and information.
11. Assist in the preparation of departmental reports by gathering, organizing, and summarizing information from a variety of sources.
12. Monitor budget for multi-source budget account, compile and prepare information for budget development.
13. Open, sort and distribute mail; identify priority items.
14. Order and maintain adequate supplies as required.
15. Perform other related duties as assigned.
1. Organization, time management and standard office procedures.
2. Principles and procedures of record keeping and reporting.
3. Word processing methods, techniques and programs.
4. Principles of business letter writing.
5. English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
6. Modern office procedures, methods, computer equipment and office software applications.
7. Acceptable business and office etiquette.
Skills and Abilities to:
1. Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
2. Work independently in the absence of supervision.
3. Operate a variety of office machines including computer devices.
4. Communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
5. Analyze situations carefully and adopt effective course of action.
6. Effectively communicate and interact with persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
7. Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade including or supplemented by specialized administrative or secretarial training and/or college level course work.
2. Two years of administrative clerical experience involving heavy public contact and primary support to an individual or department.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
District’s Diversity Requirements
- Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge and understanding of the
diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender identity, sexual
orientation, cultural, disability, and ethnic background of groups
historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced
- Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major
duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in
the District’s hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent
transferable skills to do so.
$68,538 - $87,716 Annual Salary (Range C90: Confidential Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2022-2023). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Confidential positions also include 22 vacation days, 12 sick leave days, 6 administrative leave days and 19 paid holidays per year.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://sjeccd.peopleadmin.com/
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District’s emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse group of managers, supervisors and confidential staff consisting of 29 % Hispanic/Latino, 13% Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 23% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert