Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and Administration (College of Letters, Arts, and Social
- California State University- East Bay
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 22, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Academic Administration, Faculty Affairs, Other Academic Affairs, Deans
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Salary and Benefits
The starting salary placement depends on qualifications and experience and is anticipated to be in the range of $155,000 per year to $163,000 per year.
This position is a Management Personnel Plan (MPP) position in the CSU, and serves at the pleasure of the President.
The CSU enjoys a generous benefits program with employer paid life insurance ($100,000), as well as health, dental, and vision insurance with the monthly premium largely paid by the CSU. Additionally, we offer a broad range of other benefits which includes dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, tuition fee waiver, 401k, 457 and 403(b) plans.
The CSU belongs to the CalPERS retirement plan in which medical and dental insurance continues in qualified retirement.
The CSU has 14 paid holidays, one personal holiday, and earns 24 days of vacation and 12 days of sick leave per year.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit our benefits website. The CSU Total Compensation Calculator demonstrates the significance of our benefits package.
About Cal State East Bay
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability.
About the College
The College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences includes 17 academic departments (Art, Anthropology, Geography and Environmental Studies, Communication, Speech Language and Hearing Sciences, Criminal Justice, English, Ethnic Studies, History, Human Development and Women’s Studies, Modern Languages and Literatures, Music, Philosophy & Religious Studies, Political Science, Sociology, Social Work, and Theatre/ Dance. CLASS is also home to interdisciplinary programs in International Studies and Liberal Studies; a Museum of Art; a Museum of Anthropology; and a Speech/Pathology Clinic. Academic programs are accredited by various entities including the National Association of Schools of Music, the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, and the Council on Social Work Education. The College offers 21 undergraduate degree programs and 9 Master’s degree programs, serving more than 5,000 student majors, plus serving as the primary home of General Education courses that serve the entire University enrollment. Approximately 130 full-time faculty, over 250 part-time faculty and 40 staff are employed in the College.
About the Position
This position may be eligible to participate in the Cal State East Bay telecommute program subject to approval by the appropriate administrator.
Associate Dean works under the leadership of the Dean focusing on matters of faculty affairs, enrollment management, personnel, budget and finance, operations, and other administrative matters as assigned.
- Lead the recruitment, hiring, and evaluation of temporary faculty.
- Work with College Contract Specialist to monitor lecturer entitlements.
- Manage faculty hiring and appointments via the eFAF process.
- Manage faculty workload allocation to department chairs.
- Approve requests for authorization of travel for faculty.
- Run point on CFA contract questions and issues.
- Act as Primary College representative for faculty grievances.
- Track and record faculty leave of all types (sabbatical, difference-in-pay, FML, etc.).
- Manage staff recruiting processes in the electronic recruitment system.
- Manage staff hiring and appointments via the eSAF process.
- Provide direct supervision of the staff.
- Oversee staff salary increases and reclassifications.
- Provide clarification on CSUEU, APC, and UAW contract questions and issues.
- Manage performance evaluations of staff (Units 2, 5, 7, & 9) and academic support (Unit 4).
- Liaise with University Extension on the development, monitoring, and administration of self-support programs of all kind.
- Approve payroll.
- Approve security clearance via the eSARF process.
- Act as signature authority for College funds including, but not limited to, general fund, trust funds, donor funds, and continuing education revenue funds.
- Work with the Assistant to the Dean, to organize and track scholarships.
- Coordinate and chair the College A2E2 Committee.
- Responsible for review and approval of department purchase orders and invoices.
- Review and calculate allocation of weighted teaching units and student credit unit targets to Departments and programs for each academic term.
- Track and enter faculty reassigned time for each academic term.
- Conduct data analysis and report on all available College metrics.
- Track and report College enrollment and student credit unit targets.
- Prepare faculty workload spreadsheets for the Instructional Term Workload Report.
- Track budget for part-time faculty instruction in conjunction with the Budget & Data in the College office.
- Approve course schedules.
- Represent College, as required, at University functions and external events.
- Administrative duties as assigned.
- Earned Doctorate degree.
- Minimum of three years experience as an academic unit leader such as, department chair, program director, program manager, administrator, or as an associate dean in higher education.
- Knowledge of University and CSU system-level policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the CFA - Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Strong leadership and management skills.
- Command of the English language in spoken and written forms.
- Strong interpersonal skills that imbue empathetic leadership.
- Ability to defer to the leadership and vision of the Dean when required.
- Quantitative, qualitative, and logistical reasoning.
- Ability to conduct research of issues pertaining to required duties.
- Familiarity with productivity software such as Microsoft Office products and Google Suite.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including LiveScan, as appropriate), that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate. LiveScan is conducted through the University Police Department.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html
At CSUEB, the following nine competencies have been identified as valued leadership qualities: Communication, Cooperation, Delegation, Empathy, Feedback, Innovation, Leadership Presence, Passion and Strategic Ability. While we may not expect our managers to exhibit all of these competencies, we do expect them to aspire to develop them. As part of the annual evaluation review process, the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and Administration (CLASS) will be evaluated on each.
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions and we are not an E-Verify employer.
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Advertised: April 07, 2023 (12:15 PM) Pacific Daylight Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert