Associate Dean of Faculty & Inclusive Excellence
- American University
- District of Columbia, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 21, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Academic Administration, Chief Academic Officers & Vice Presidents, Faculty Affairs, Other Academic Affairs, Deans
- Employment Type
- Full Time
American University is seeking a highly qualified and experienced individual to serve in the Provost Office as the Associate Dean of Faculty and Inclusive Excellence. The appointment is a multi-year term (full-time, non-tenure-line) position beginning July 1, 2023 and ending June 30th, 2025. The position is partially funded by an NSF ADVANCE grant with the possibility for continuation at the conclusion of the grant cycle. This is a faculty position with an appointment in the Office of the Provost and another academic unit at the University.
The Associate Dean of Faculty and Inclusive Excellence will report directly to both the Dean of Faculty and the Assistant Vice President of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. They will also work closely with the relevant Associate Deans in all nine academic units and the university library to assess and address the needs of the university’s 900+ fulltime faculty , with a particular focus on term faculty. The Associate Dean will be instrumental in supporting the strategic priorities of the ADVANCE AU grant.
The Associate Dean of Faculty and Inclusive Excellence’s duties include, but are not limited to:
- Faculty Development – Develop programming, including workshops and forums for faculty. Examples include open forums to assess the concerns of term faculty, workshops focused on enhancing research and leadership skills, and mentoring workshops to support pathways to promotion. The Associate Dean of Faculty and Inclusive Excellence will also assist with the planning and implementation of new faculty orientation, developing a faculty mentoring program, and hosting a symposium in collaboration with the Center for Teaching, Research, and Learning.
- Faculty support – Assist with the hiring of faculty and with new faculty searches. This work includes reviewing new faculty hires and reappointments, reviewing university and unit policies and bylaws, and ensuring equitable search practices.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion – In alignment with the university’s Strategic Plan for Inclusive Excellence , enhance diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts across units to enhance thriving among AU faculty, staff, and students. This work includes, but is not limited to, assisting with diversifying faculty search pools, improving retention of faculty, promoting diverse faculty hiring across the tenure-line, term, and adjunct ranks, serving as a key member on the president’s council for diversity and inclusion, and developing metrics and assessments of impact of DEI efforts.
We welcome applications and nominations from individuals with an interest in advocating for faculty, particularly term faculty, and working to create a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable campus climate. Strong interpersonal, intercultural communication, and writing skills are valuable skills for this position. Faculty from all disciplines with at least three years of experience in academic administration and DEI efforts are encouraged to apply.
Applicants should hold a PhD or other terminal degree or equivalent; and have experience in faculty affairs, diversity and inclusion, and antiracist practice. The Associate Dean of Faculty and Inclusive Excellence’s primary duties are to provide leadership and support for all faculty members, as well as to promote the professional development and success of our faculty.
Salary and benefits are competitive with an initial salary of $95,000. Review of applications will begin January, 17th, 2023 and will continue until the position is filled.
Include a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and three letters of recommendation. Please contact Monica Jackson, Deputy Provost and Dean of Faculty, at 202-885-1509 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert