Political Science: Contract Instructor-College Credit
- San Diego Community College District
- California, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 21, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Social & Behavioral Sciences, Political Science & International Relations
- Employment Level
- Non-Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Political Science: Contract Instructor-College Credit
San Diego Community College District
Closing Date: 3/1/2023
Position Number: 000754
Location: San Diego Mesa College
Position Type: Academic
From San Diego Mesa College President Ashanti Hands:
San Diego Mesa College seeks energetic and dedicated candidates to apply for academic positions. The College is committed to academic excellence and diversity, equity, and inclusion among its faculty, classified professionals, staff, and students. As the “Leading College of Equity & Excellence”, we take responsibility for equitable outcomes and successful pathways for all of our students.
As the largest college in the San Diego Community College District, the institution enjoys a solid financial standing, state-of-the-art facilities, and a world-class faculty, classified professionals, and staff. For 58 years, Mesa College has been on the leading edge, from offering a Community College Bachelor's Degree, to being a lead California Community College in graduating students with an Advanced Degree for Transfer. We embrace the mission of community colleges and are committed to empowering our students to maximize their potential, leading to healthy and thriving communities.
We are adding new staff, classified professionals, faculty, and administrators who, alongside our stellar colleagues, will lead us into the future. If this opportunity sounds like the right fit for you, I encourage you to file an application for employment.
Applications are now being accepted for the position of Assistant Professor, Political Science, beginning Fall 2023 (August 7, 2023) at San Diego Mesa College.
While the current vacancy is at Mesa College, applicants should understand that they are subject to assignment at any District facility at the option of the Chancellor.
The Assistant Professor, Political Science, will report to the Dean of Social/Behavioral Sciences and Multicultural Studies. Primary responsibility for this position will be teaching introductory political science courses with an emphasis on comparative politics, contemporary international politics, and elementary statistics for political science. Additional responsibilities of Mesa College tenured/tenure-track faculty include maintaining regular office hours for student advisement, curriculum review and development, serving on College and District committees, and participating in various departmental, school, and college activities.
Master’s in political science, government, public administration, or international relations
OR Bachelor’s in any of the above AND Master’s in economics, history, social science, sociology, any ethnic studies, JD, or LL.B. OR the equivalent.
- Facility with current trends and issues in political science research and teaching;
- Effective oral communication and writing ability;
- Recent experience teaching introductory courses in Political Science at the undergraduate college level in a range of delivery formats (online, hybrid, face-to-face etc);
- Passion for teaching introductory courses as part of the community college mission and for applying equity-minded and culturally-responsive practices to teaching in the community college setting;
- Ability to teach effectively while promoting student retention and success;
- Commitment to contributing to shared governance by participating in college and district committees, and in processes such as program and curriculum review;
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships across the college and District community;
- Willingness and ability to serve as faculty coordinator for and mentor students in Mesa’s Pathway to Law School program and/or willingness to participate in other ways in student mentoring or service;
- Cultural competency, sensitivity to, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty and classified professionals.
Class 1, Step A - Class 6, Step C ($6,032.90 - $8,128.98) per month based on the current AFT - College Faculty Tenured-Tenure Track Monthly Salary Schedule.
Initial salary placement for this Assistant Professor is commensurate with required education and related teaching experience as outlined in section A2.1 of the AFT Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement and it is non-negotiable. The District offers a comprehensive fringe benefit package including employer paid medical, dental, vision plans, sick leave, and opportunities for professional development. This position is FLSA Exempt and may not accrue overtime. Benefits will be provided under the terms of the AFT-Guild, Local 1931 - Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement. Annual Salaries will be recalculated for service less than a full academic year based on Education Code §87815, any required adjustment will be made within the first pay period. Travel reimbursement for interviewees traveling more than 200 miles, one-way, may be paid according to geographic location (see SDCCD Travel Stipend Policy, Rev 7/14/2011). Typically, Assistant Professors earn tenure after 4 years and promote to Associate Professor. The SDCCD Employment Web Page provides a link to employee collective bargaining agreements and handbooks, and more information about terms and conditions of employment to include salary and benefits.
To apply, visit: https://www.sdccdjobs.com
All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert