Lead, Solutions Architect - Cloud Infrastructure
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Texas, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 21, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Professional Fields, Architecture, Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Computer Services & Information Technology
- Employment Type
- Part Time
The Human Genome Sequencing Center at the Baylor College of Medicine is seeking an experienced Cloud Architect to lead a team that will architect, build and operate an ambitious expansion of the cloud-based infrastructure used in pioneering genomic medicine studies.
This position is eligible to work in a hybrid work arrangement.
The field of genomics is now in a new phase of exploring individual DNA sequence variation and its association with human diseases. A major focus of the BCM-HGSC is deciphering the genetic architecture of common complex diseases. These include cardiovascular disease (CVD), neurodegeneration, and cancer predisposition – all major causes of adult death with strong heritable components. Understanding the genetic architecture of these disorders is the key to identifying gene changes that directly cause the diseases in order to direct therapeutic strategies. This pathway from ”bench to bedside” is the foundation of the new national initiative in Precision Medicine.
In direct response to this new era, the BCM-HGSC has launched the HGSC Clinical Lab (HGSC-CL), which has a complete infrastructure to support large-scale sequencing and genomics projects. With its sophisticated informatics core and pipeline and state-of-the-art technology development core, the CAP-accredited/CLIA-certified HGSC-CL can deliver clinical test grade data for returning results to diagnosing physicians. The environment is currently hybrid, with some components local while others are cloud-based. This position will spearhead efforts to continue our growth of cloud resources.
- Lead a new initiative to design new infrastructure and migrate on-prem infrastructure and operations to the cloud.
- Lead Cloud infrastructure architecture, engineering, and operations management.
- Work with other groups to ensure security and compliance requirements continue to be met, including ensuring clear security boundaries are established, and data are secure at rest and in transit.
- Lead a team that will implement these projects.
- Work to continually improve existing cloud infrastructure and DevOps practices.
- Evaluate current cloud-based infrastructure and operations to identify and resolve bottlenecks and streamline and improve policies and protocols.
- Manage relevant vendor relationships.
- Prepare cost estimates, forecasts, and utilization summaries to
- Bachelor's degree. Four years of relevant experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- Six years of relevant experience.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or a related field
- Master’s degree
- Ten or more years of directly related work experience
- Demonstrated experience with establishing mature hybrid on-prem and AWS cloud IT infrastructure in a clinical setting
- Demonstrated experience with leading AWS cloud migrations and cost optimizations
- Demonstrated experience with IT security and compliance in a clinical environment
- Experience with infrastructure, systems, networks, and storage administration both on-prem and AWS cloud
- Experience and knowledge with managing networks, storage, VM technologies, disaster recovery, DevOps, and platforms both on-prem and AWS cloud
- Experience with monitoring and reporting tools
- Strong leadership and communication, with mentoring and directing cloud and on-prem engineers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert