Associate Director, Accessible Education Center
- San Jose State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 20, 2022
Reporting to and receiving limited supervision from the Director of the Accessible Education Center, the Associate Director (AD) manages and oversees direct services delivered to students with disabilities as assigned. The AD provides support to faculty, administration and staff, access to information technology, and mandates of section 504 and section 508 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973; the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act, the state of California, San José State University, and the Accessible Education Center (AEC). The AD is responsible for development of data and reports, and the maintenance of confidential records.
- In coordination with the Director, designs, develops, and implements a comprehensive program of services to meet the needs of students with disabilities within the framework of federal regulations, current and accepted learning theories, and available financial resources
- Maximizes office productivity through use of appropriate tools; develops resources that create timely and efficient workflow; develops and recommends budget
- Prepares progress reports, informs Director of project status and deviation from goals; prepares activity reports for management guidance
- Works with other departments/units/divisions to coordinate work flow and activities to insure a seamless operation
- Engages in the interactive process; analyzes disability-related documentation to assess educational limitations and determine appropriate accommodations, provides programmatic support; disability management; advisement and confidential counseling to students with disabilities; participates in case management
- Maintain accurate and confidential records, as well as tracking ongoing cases, recurrent cases and following up with students
- Work with the appropriate faculty and staff to resolve conflicts concerning compliance and reasonable accommodations for students, and refers complaints to appropriate offices for appeal when necessary; ensuring compliance with applicable laws, regulations and policies
- Assist in oversight of database management (AIM/MyAEC); including accurate data entry by all staff members and ability to generate reports on demand
- An in-depth knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act, the state of California, section 504 and section 508 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973, California’s Fair Employment Housing Act (FEHA)
- Ability to manage a complex and comprehensive budget, develop projections and reports in a timely fashion
- Ability to supervise professional, support staff and student employees
- Ability to manage the delivery of complex academically related disability services at a large campus
- Ability to interpret technical procedures or regulations
- Ability to work effectively with academic administrators, faculty and staff, as well as the various governing bodies of the university, and outside agencies
- Ability to conduct educational and training programs
- Knowledge and ability to interpret medical and diagnostic reports and prescribe service/accommodation implications as they relate to students with disabilities
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, and general public
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with multiple abstract and concrete variables
- Knowledge of assessment of student service activities and programs for persons with disabilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Skilled in diverse customer and partner relationship management; ability to appropriately handle sensitive and confidential communications/issues
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressive full-time work experience delivering academic support and services to faculty, the classroom and the curriculum for students with disabilities in higher education. Master’s degree in counseling, clinical psychology, social work or in a job-related field may be substituted for one year of professional experience. A doctorate degree and the appropriate internship or clinical training in counseling, guidance, or a job-related field may be substituted for two years of the required professional experience
- Experience in the application of the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act, the state of California, section 504 and section 508 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Experience managing professional staff and overseeing related student services program
- Master’s Degree in related area
- Experience working with students having disability conditions and their impact on students’ ability to learn and participate in the collegiate experience
- Excellent written communication skills
Classification: Administrator II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $6,917/month - $7,957/month
The final hiring salary will be commensurate with experience.
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com .
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: December 20, 2022 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert