International Legal Compliance Specialist
- University of Maryland, Baltimore
- Baltimore, Maryland
- Commensurate with experience and education
- Posted Date
- Dec 21, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Business & Management, Other Business & Management, Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Legal Affairs
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), International Operations (IO) department is currently recruiting for an International Legal Compliance Specialist. The Specialist will support UMB’s compliance with regulatory and legal requirements of its operations outside the U.S. They will help establish and oversee policies and standards; build and share specialized knowledge and guidance with faculty, staff and students conducting international work; and support effective governance of UMB’s non-profit affiliate, the Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC). The Specialist with report to IO’s Director of Risk Management.
*** Employees must reside in Maryland or its contiguous states. Telework is allowed per UMB policy. ***
UMB offers a comprehensive benefits package that prioritizes wellness, work/life balance, and professional development. This position participates in a retirement program that must be selected and is effective on your date of hire. Exempt regular staff receive a generous leave package that includes over 4 weeks of vacation accrued each year, paid holidays, unlimited accrual of sick time, and comprehensive health insurance; professional learning and development programs; tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any University System of Maryland school; and flexible work schedules and teleworking options (if applicable per job).
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Analyzes current and forecasted business and regulatory requirements relevant to UMB’s international presence and affiliate operations.
- Advises UMB community members, including faculty, staff, and students, on business, legal, and regulatory requirements pertinent to the university’s international activity.
- Maintains accurate records on corporate legal requirements, including country registrations, affiliate governance, business taxation, audits, and insurance coverage.
- Facilitates new country office registrations and updates, required compliance filings, and engagement of in-country legal counsel.
- Manages and supports relationships with UMB units, vendors, and service providers in functional areas of this position.
- Maintains organizational policies, standards, and procedures under the purview of International Operations, and manages revisions to them as needed to ensure relevance and accuracy vis-a-vis UMB’s broader policy framework.
- Reviews non-personnel operational contracts and advises senior management on terms and conditions to mitigate compliance risk.
- Supports MGIC Board’s adherence to corporate bylaws, governance policy, and statutory duties and obligations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in international relations, business administration, or related field.
Experience: Three (3) years of experience in international business operations, international program operations support, international law, or related field, with at least two (2) years of experience in the international development or relief sector.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of position requirements.
- Excellent proficiency with Office 365 suite (including Teams and SharePoint), Zoom, Webex and other virtual collaboration platforms.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills in English required. Proficiency in French and/or Portuguese is a plus.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, to present ideas and information clearly and concisely both orally and in writing, to perform mathematical computations, to present statistical material in chart and graph form.
- Experience in cross-cultural teams, global settings, and low-resource communities or countries is highly desirable.
- Able to work flexible hours when needed, including outside of normal Eastern US office hours, given the global activity supported by this position.
- Strong customer service orientation and ability to communicate effectively and build constructive working relationships in a diverse, international working environment.
- Demonstrates follow-through, efficiency, self-direction, and clear and effective communications.
Hiring Range: $68,000 - $80,000 (Commensurate with education and experience)
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at HRJobs@umaryland.edu.
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact HRDiversity@umaryland.edu. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert