University Job Family
Academic & Faculty Affairs
For more information on ORP, visit:
Scope of Search
Academic Advisor (Psychology)
Is this employee on a H1B Visa?
Office Of Student Services
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity,
service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A
premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as
one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to
work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported
and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave
package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an
opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The Office of Student Services and the Department of Psychology in
the VCU College of Humanities and Sciences ( CHS ) is recruiting to
fill an Academic Advisor position. The Academic Advisor will
sustain an environment of effective academic advising for
undergraduate students in the College in order to support VCU being
a leader among national research universities in providing all
students with high-quality learning/living experiences focused on
inquiry, discovery and innovation in a global environment. More
specifically to provide resources to improve the student to advisor
ratio in the Psychology program and to provide professional
academic advising for majors in the Psychology program. Meeting
these needs will improve student engagement through effective
academic advising, while supporting the identified metrics of
graduation rates and retention.
The Academic Advisor position requires a high degree of
confidentiality. The main purpose of this position is to sustain an
environment of effective academic advising for undergraduate
students in the respective program.
The incumbent must exercise professional judgment in the following
1. Provide correct up-to-date information about all College and
Psychology program-specific academic program requirements.
2. Provide correct interpretations of University and College rules
3. Be comfortable and accurate in answering pointed questions from
parents and students about graduation issues.
4. Be able to tell students they lack requirements for graduation
and offer suggestions for completion of the needed requirements
(including possible substitutions or waivers of degree
5. Follow appropriate protocol for situations involving Title IX or
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Provide academic advising services to Psychology majors;
2. Collaborate with university partners on matters that impact
student recruitment, success, and retention;
3. Maintain accurate and confidential records of student
information, including advising interactions;
4. Monitor student progression in degree program and establish
Minimum Hiring Standards
• A minimum of one year of professional experience in a college or
• Master’s degree from an accredited institution.
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse
faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a
staff member at VCU .
Preferred Hiring Standards
• Educational background in the discipline, Psychology.
• Demonstrated experience providing academic, career, or
individualized counseling in higher education.
• Excellent written, interpersonal and oral communication
Required Licenses/ Certifications
Anticipated Hiring Range
$40,000 to $42,000
Application Process/Additional Information
Evaluation of applications will begin immediately and will continue
until the positions are filled. Applicants must upload a resume,
cover letter, and (as one PDF in the “Other Document” section) the
names, phone numbers, and email addresses of three professional
references as part of this application process. Applications must
be submitted electronically at https://www.vcujobs.com. Applicants
must be eligible to work in the United States.
Monroe Park Campus
Normal Work Days/Hours
Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM
Job Open Date
Posting will close on or before
Open Until Filled
Is this a restricted position?
Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- * Describe your experience with having a caseload of
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document