Korean-speaking Research Fellow
- KIMEP University
- Kazakhstan (KZ)
- Salary will be discussed with shortlisted candidates
- Posted Date
- Dec 20, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Research Administration
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The DPRK Strategic Research Center at KIMEP University in Almaty, Kazakhstan, is looking for a motivated and proactive Research Fellow, with native fluency in Korean, to work jointly with the Principal Investigator - Dr. Chan Young Bang -, the Senior Research Fellow - Dr. Zhongwei Xing -, and the staff of the Center, on issues related but not limited to: North Korean economy, North Korean politics, foreign relations of North Korea, geopolitical issues on the Korean Peninsula and East Asia.
The center is seeking an individual passionate about research and interested in learning or deepening their knowledge about economic development in North Korea. This position would be a great fit for someone interested in:
- Northeast Asian studies;
- Chinese studies;
- Korean studies.
Ideally, the Research Fellow should be versed in translating and adapting analytic and academic writing, op-eds and policy papers from English to Korean. The Research Fellow should have a genuine interest in the future of North Korea and the Korean peninsula at large. If the Research Fellow wishes so, he/she will have the possibility to teach one course a year and/or semester.
The DPRK Strategic Research Center works collectively under the guidance of Dr. Bang, therefore it is important that the Research Fellow be able to work as part of a team; individual research output is of course also encouraged however the emphasis remain on producing solid analysis, thought-provoking op-eds and analytic pieces to be published on premium international outlets, prominent websites for syndication and opinion, and academic journals, as well as in the form of a monograph. To familiarize with the research output of the center, please visit: https://www.kimep.kz/dprkstrategy/en/publications/.
KIMEP University is the leading American-style, internationally-accredited, English-speaking academic institution in the Commonwealth of Independent States. Established in 1992, KIMEP provides a world-class academic experience and a unique international environment to all its students and faculty.
The city of Almaty is situated at the base of majestic Tien Shan Mountains in Southeast Kazakhstan. About 2 million people live in or near Almaty as it is the financial, cultural, and cosmopolitan capital of Kazakhstan. Boasting the Silk Road of the 21st century, Kazakhstan offers unique positions in oil and gas, economic development, and trade. With a transitioning economy that has witnessed four-fold growth over the past decade, Kazakhstan's dynamically changing economic, social, educational and cultural environment provides incredible opportunities for significant and original research.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Collecting and/or analyzing data
- Conducting interviews and/or observations
- Collaborating in preparing publications
- Submitting the research output for publication
- Library/archive searches
- Transcribing and translating Korean texts into English
- Promoting the activities of the Center and update the website
- Organizing research conferences online and in-person
- Other research activities as needed
- Fluency in Korean (native) and English (excellent)
- Completion of a Master Degree, or preferably a PhD in a relevant field (International Relations, Economics, Area Studies, Social Sciences)
- Considerable experience in a research environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- High level of competency with Microsoft Excel and Word
- At least 1 year of relevant work experience
- Degree discipline with a focus on Northeast Asia/DPRK
Please apply via the KIMEP HR Portal: https://hr.kimep.kz/en-US/Home/Vacancy/488
You are kindly asked to attach your CV, Cover letter and please mention your salary expectations to this position.
Application deadline: Open until filled
Salary will be discussed with shortlisted candidates.
Only shortlisted candidates will be informed.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert