Senior Business Development and Licensing Manager
- Dartmouth College
- New Hampshire, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 19, 2022
Open Until Filled
Senior Business Development and Licensing Manager
Department this Position Reports to
Technology Transfer Office
Hiring Range Minimum
Hiring Range Maximum
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year
Scheduled Hours per Week
Location of Position
Onsite preferred but will consider Hybrid work arrangement with finalist(s).
Remote Work Eligibility?
Is this a term position?
If yes, length of term in months.
Is this a grant funded position?
Reporting to the Director and collaborating with the collegial Technology Transfer team and researchers and other Dartmouth colleagues, the Senior Business Development and Licensing Manager will manage intellectual property and commercialize research assets from Dartmouth College, with a focus on life sciences and biomedical devices. They will be responsible for supporting Dartmouth researchers and advancing Dartmouth technology for the betterment of the world by identifying, evaluating, marketing, and licensing Dartmouth inventions and intellectual property assets, developing relationships with industry collaborators, supporting Dartmouth start-up companies, and advancing entrepreneurship.
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
Bachelors or equivalent combination of education and experience
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in bio-medical sciences, with a broad technical understanding of diverse scientific areas. * At least 7+ years of relevant experience in academic technology transfer or with licensing and commercialization of intellectual property (IP) assets.
- Knowledge of the Patent Law and Federal law and regulations pertaining to intellectual property and academic technology transfer.
- Passion for development and commercialization of early-stage technologies for societal benefit.
- Commitment to advancing inventorship and entrepreneurship among underrepresented constituents.
- Experience structuring, drafting, and negotiating term sheets, options, licenses, and other complex agreements relating to IP.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to recommend and take action with confidence.
- Proven ability to prioritize and manage a diverse group of activities on a daily basis despite multiple interruptions and handle multiple tasks simultaneously and with attention to detail.
- Highly collaborative and open to diverse approaches to solving complex problems.
- Tact, professionalism, and demonstrated experience in working with confidential information and solving difficult problems with tact and discretion.
- Ability to understand and to clearly communicate legal requirements of federal regulations to researchers and other constituencies.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and knowledge of computer databases and electronic communications software.
- Advanced degree in life sciences
- Advanced degree or certification, e.g. JD or MBA .
- Experience working on technology transfer in biomedical fields with university, research institution, hospital or academic medical centers.
- Industry experience.
- Experience working with startup companies and/or venture capital.
Department Contact Phone Number
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title
Kim Rosenfield, Director
Department Contact's Phone Number
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Is driving a vehicle (e.g. Dartmouth vehicle or off road vehicle, rental car, personal car) an essential function of this job?
Not an essential function
Special Instructions to Applicants
All Dartmouth College employees, whether working on-site or remotely, are required to be up to date with vaccination against COVID -19 (or to have received an approved exemption from vaccination through the Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity). Please visit https://dartgo.org/vaxpolicy for details. Compliance with this requirement is a condition of employment. Failure to meet this condition of employment within the first 30 days may result in Dartmouth in its sole discretion ending employment.
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details, please see our policy. https://policies.dartmouth.edu/policy/tobacco-free-policy
Evaluation of Intellectual Property and Licensing – Develops collaborative relationships with faculty and other investigators and encourages and facilitates disclosures of ideas and inventions for potential commercial development Analyzes patentability and coordinates the patent application and prosecution process with outside counsel. Performs market research and evaluation of potential value of IP assets and works closely with inventors to design strategies for development and commercializing of licensable intellectual property generated at Dartmouth through relationships with industry and through start-up companies. Identifies and develops relationships with industry sponsors, investors, and licensees. . Analyzes, structures, drafts, and negotiates term sheets, option and license agreements, and other agreements and documents relating to protection and commercialization of IP assets. Monitors ongoing agreements and manages license agreements for compliance. Works on joint IP and collaborations among Dartmouth and Dartmouth Health and other institutions and entities and collaborates with the Magnuson Center for Entrepreneurship. Works collaboratively and strategically with inventors and administrators, outside patent counsel, licensing attorneys, industry representatives, and community members in the conduct of technology transfer activities.
Percentage Of Time
Technology Transfer Office Operations – Develops and implements effective strategies for protecting and commercializing Dartmouth intellectual property rights, educating clinicians, researchers, staff and administrators on related law, policies, and strategies and ensuring adherence to compliance procedures and federal regulations. Works with faculty, researchers, staff and administrators throughout Dartmouth College, including Geisel School of Medicine, Thayer School of Engineering, and the Magnuson Center for Entrepreneurship, regarding intellectual property, conflicts of interest, export control, compliance, and confidentiality issues. Maintains, improves, drafts, and develops agreements for routine and non-routine technology transfer transactions. Develops and delivers informational sessions and educational workshops for the Dartmouth community, including faculty, students, and staff. Attends professional development sessions to develop and maintain knowledge related to all aspects of technology transfer, its regulation, efficient service to the institution, and industry contacts. Participates in the development of Dartmouth technology transfer infrastructure, policies, and procedures. . Maintains records of Dartmouth IP and licensing activities and monitors accuracy and completeness of database records.
Percentage Of Time
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Talent Acquisition Consultant
- American Library Association
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Dartmouth College Employment Website
- Internal Employee Referral (Please specify full name below)
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed Jobs
- National Black MBA Association
- Recruit Military
- Valley News
- Other (Please specify below)
- If you answered, 'Internal Employee Referral' or 'Other' to the
above question, please specify here:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert