Part-Time Media & Help Desk Technologist, Unified Help Desk
- Fashion Institute of Technology
- New York City, New York
- $34.81 per hour
- Posted Date
- Dec 19, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Computer Services & Information Technology
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Part Time
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State University of New York and an internationally renowned college of art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on liberal arts, invites nominations and applications for a Media & Help Desk Technologist in the Unified Help Desk Department.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The college continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instruction design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
The Media & Help Desk Technologist will provide coverage for event operations and/or help desk support within the Unified Help Desk Department. The incumbent will respond to tickets as dispatched or assigned.
- Operates small-to-large scale audiovisual systems in designated spaces supported by the unit.
- Provides outstanding technical and operational support of the unit's designated audiovisual equipment and software for scheduled or ad-hoc presentations and events throughout the event workflow (pre-production, production, and post-production/breakdown) .
- Responsible for the physical set-up, configuration, and hands-on operation of various sound, video, lighting, and network technologies and systems for live events, in-person, virtual, and hybrid.
- Serves as the primary sound and/or image projection operator in events, working independently or in teams and instructing other technical operators as required by the event's production plan.
- Strives to produce the highest quality live events for and with students, faculty members, staff members, and guests of the College through professionalism and a hospitality mindset.
- Sends and/or conducts pre-production meetings, technical rehearsals, and client rehearsals to ensure the intentional success of live productions.
- Follows posted instructions (show scripts/playbooks) to determine the equipment scheduled for set-up and for breakdown.
- Properly documents and addresses production operation and/or system errors to ensure their timely resolution between live events.
- Monitors daily event calendar on campus to determine what technology is needed, at what mes, as dispatched or directed by shi supervisor.
- Monitors events and presentations occurring during the duty shift by periodically checking in with hosts as dispatched or directed by shift supervisor.
- Prepares media rooms for use, as dispatched or directed by shift supervisor.
- Oversee professional analog and digital equipment and electrical components and will be exposed to heights via lifts and ladders.
- Properly manages for financial accounting and quality control purposes, inventories of installed and portable event technology and venue systems.
- Maintains (organize, catalog, prepare for next use, and store) the unit's equipment, accessories and supplies on a regular basis (including in the storage room)·
- Delivers, retrieves and/or stores designated unit equipment/materials as needed·
- Processes the loaning out of audiovisual equipment and accessories for classroom use by faculty·
- Checks the booking system for any equipment that may not have been returned and updates the system and creates an alert ticket.
- Sets up equipment in areas without equipment.
Help Desk Support
- Provides support and resolves requests for help or information via in-person walk-ins to the unit's designated service desks.
- Provides dependable services to all clients and client spaces ensuring complete customer satisfaction.
- Installs and configures small to large scale audiovisual systems in designated spaces supported by the unit as directed/dispatched.
- Responds to calls from faculty and students for technical help with classroom equipment during active classes so prompt resolution and a professional, non-disruptive manner is expected.
- Assists faculty with classroom equipment operation and students with facility operations.
- Meets all FIT community members on location (campus or off campus) as dispatched/assigned to ensure all presentation technology is working properly.
- Completes tasks dispatched or assigned by the shift supervisor.
- Checks the ticket system for new tickets throughout a shift to ensure tickets are assigned quickly.
- Responds and resolves assigned helpdesk tickets in a timely manner.
- Troubleshoots and revolves issues with designated unit equipment and software in designated unit support spaces.
- Tests classroom equipment, accessories, and endpoints as designated in the unit description.
- Replaces old or worn equipment or parts including accessories like bulbs.
- Communicates constantly throughout a shift via an assigned radio.
- Completes administrative tasks (data entry, paperwork, etc.) accurately
- Follows College's SOP and organizational policy and process
- Performs work at times during irregular hours that includes on-call status and days, evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Performs work in multiple location
- Interacts collegially with all parties
- Fosters a hospitality service model
- Keeps up to date with new technology and equipment via professional development, cross-training and periodic training
- Keeps skills current related to unit's service catalog
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.
- Technical diploma or Associate's degree in computer information systems, or high school diploma and three (3) years of appropriate business experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrates subject matter expertise for the technical aspects of the job including advanced operational ability to troubleshoot and problem-solve equipment and software issues.
- Demonstrated experience and certification for Dante and Crestron AVoIP protocols is highly desired.
- Ability to learn, adapt, and keep current with contemporary equipment use and repair.
Read Comprehend- Frequent; Perform Calculations- Occasional; Communicate Orally- Frequent; Reason & Analyze- Frequent; Write- Frequent
The position is on campus, primarily in an office or lab environment.
Sit- Occasional; Stand- Frequent; Bend- Frequent; Walk- Frequent; Climb- Occasional; Pull- Occasional; Push- Occasional; Lift<10- Occasional; Lift 10-20- Occasional; Lift over 50- Occasional; Reach- Frequent
Days/Hours: M-F, 2pm-10pm (25 hours per week), in person; work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department.
Job Title: Technologist C per Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA)
Salary Schedule 91; Successor Agreement (page 7)
Hiring Rate: $34.81 per hour
Employee Holiday and Work Schedule
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled.
Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this position once an offer has been made.
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
- Cover letter
- Diploma or Unofficial transcript
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Returning Applicants- Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your completed application.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
EEO/ Affirmative Action Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212.217.3360, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Fashion Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is strongly and actively committed to diversity within the community.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert