Mathematics Faculty (Fall 2023)
- Pellissippi State Community College
- Tennessee, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 16, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Education, Curriculum & Instruction, Science, Technology & Mathematics, Mathematics, Social & Behavioral Sciences, Criminal Justice & Criminology
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Title: Mathematics Faculty (Fall 2023)
Anticipated Closing Date: 2/14/2023
Number of Positions: 2
Position #: 350550 & 356100
Type of Appointment: Full-Time Tenure Track
FLSA Status: Exempt
Required Documents Needed to Upload at Time of Application: Resume, transcripts and three professional references.
Reference check requirements: Non-supervisory roles: three (3) current or former supervisors
Personal references (friends, clergy, customers, relatives) are not considered acceptable references
Teach in the area of Mathematics according to college policy.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
A. Teaching (65%)
1. Teach in the area of competence according to college policy.
2. Apply theories and principles of learning to instruction.
3. Adapt instruction to the entry level knowledge and skills of students.
4. Recommend course and program changes to the academic department dean when appropriate.
5. Develop class syllabi which meet college requirements and student needs. Make class syllabi available on the first day of classes.
6. Use alternative instructional strategies as necessary
7. Inform students of special instructional resources located in the Libraries and/or the Academic Support Center.
8. Orient students to objectives and procedures before beginning instruction.
9. Establish and communicate clearly defined grading procedures and standards.
10. Give examinations and other types of evaluations necessary to determine student level of performance and understanding.
11. Consider the results of student perception surveys and student learning outcome assessments in revising and updating content, objectives, and instructional strategies.
12. Keep students aware of their progress in the course.
13. Perform record-keeping responsibilities related to teaching and advising.
14. Respond in a timely fashion to all reasonable deadlines.
15. Make reasonable classroom accommodations, course adjustments and academic program modifications as necessary to provide opportunity for qualified students with disabilities who present current accommodation plans to effectively participate in the educational process pursuant to Pellissippi State Policies 03:11:01 Academic Standards and 04:07:00 Disability Services.
B. Non-classroom Student Interactions (20%)
1. Be knowledgeable of the college policies, procedures, and assistance available to students.
2. Post and be available during office hours. The purpose of office hours is for students to know specific times when they can communicate with a faculty member. Office hours may be held in-person, or online, as appropriate.
3. Hold conferences with students as needed.
4. Interact with students in meaningful ways outside the classroom setting. Such interactions could be, but are not limited to, the following: sponsoring a student club or activity; holding extra review sessions for students; mentoring; academic advising; tutoring; serving as student orientation leaders.
C. Faculty Service (15%)
1. Serve on committees and task forces as appointed by the president or academic department dean.
2. Use professional knowledge and skills to contribute to local and professional community activities whenever appropriate.
3. Attend faculty meetings as scheduled.
4. Contribute to the advancement of college goals through appropriate individual goals.
5. Participate in program or discipline level assessment
D. Professional Development (Teaching and Discipline)
1. Participate in professional development related to pedagogy and to the faculty member’s discipline.
E. Other objective to be agreed upon by faculty members and immediate supervisors in the development of personal, departmental, and divisional objectives
Note: The College reserves the right to change or reassign job duties, or combine positions at any time.
Minimum Faculty Qualifications
All full-time and part-time faculty teaching credit-bearing courses at the associate’s degree level in the areas of humanities, fine arts, natural sciences, social and behavioral sciences, mathematics, and business administration (not including courses that are part of career/technical programs) must have at the minimum a master’s degree in the their teaching field or have completed at least 18 graduate semester hours (or equivalent) in their teaching field and hold a master's degree from a regionally accredited college/university.
The Faculty member must have a minimum of one year of teaching experience at the college level.
Pellissippi State Community College recognizes that the ability to communicate effectively is an essential skill for all academic personnel to perform competently. To ensure that all faculty are proficient in oral and written English, the following requirements are to be used during the selection process to evaluate candidates:
a. Ability to speak and write English clearly;
b. Ability to understand written and spoken English; and
c. Ability to communicate effectively in an academic environment (for example, previous successful employment in an academic institution).
A. Competence in teaching Mathematics at the college level.
B. Ability to communicate effectively and to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
C. Interest and willingness to learn and teach via different delivery methods.
D. Flexibility and innovation in instruction.
E. Commitment to the mission and values of the College.
F. Promotion of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Hardin Valley campus, with possibility of travel t o other campuses or dual enrollment sites.
Special Instructions to Applicants: To be considered for a position at Pellissippi State, you must create an on-line application. Your skills, abilities, qualifications, and years of experience will be evaluated using only what is recorded on your application. Work experience that is not listed on the application will not be considered towards compensation. Please note: attaching a resume does not substitute for completion of the application form. Part-time work experience is calculated at 50% of full-time experience. Please note: to scan, upload, or attach documents, a computer and scanner are available at the Hardin Valley Campus Educational Resources Center, if needed.
Pellissippi State Community College is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA employer
If you have any problems or questions please contact Human Resources at Pellissippi State Community College’s Human Resource Office at 865-694-6607 or by email at email@example.com .
If you are interested in this position, click on the link to the left to apply.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert