Clinical Assistant/Associate Professor of Educational Administration (Non-Tenure Track)
- University of Alabama
- Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Posted Date
- Dec 18, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Education, Education Administration & Leadership
- Employment Level
- Non-Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The University of Alabama
College of Education
Department of Educational Leadership, Policy & Technology Studies
Program in Educational Leadership
Clinical Assistant/Associate Professor of Educational Administration, Twelve-month appointment
The Center for the Study of Ethical Development and the Department of Educational Leadership at the University of Alabama (UA), require a new clinical faculty member to become fully involved in developing educational leaders in Alabama, especially as relating to a project funded by the Kern Family Foundation (Leadership for Character project- LFC) and The University of Alabama Superintendent’s Academy (UASA). The LFC project is concerned with adding processes of virtue-based character education to educational leadership programs at UA, including UASA and the Master of Arts degree in Educational Leadership. Successful applicants will demonstrate an interest and firm commitment in developing an expertise in virtue-based character education.
- Develop and teach graduate courses in Educational Leadership including character infused curriculum.
- Assist with the development and delivery of instructional modules for school leaders, particularly those related to character education content for MA Educational Leadership and Council for Leaders in Alabama Schools (CLAS)
- Assist with the planning, facilitation, and implementation of training sessions for aspiring superintendents through The University of Alabama Superintendent’s Academy (UASA) and current superintendents through School Superintendents of Alabama (SSA)
- Advise students (and serve on dissertation committees as appropriate)
- Assist with the recruitment and retention of MA Educational Leadership students
- Take a leading role in the organization of the Cultivating Communities of Character Conference
- Collaborate in the development of innovative ideas for future character development work including contributions to grant proposal writing
- Provide service within the University, to state and local education agencies, and to relevant professional education organizations
- Collaborate with Alabama schools and school systems
- Travel to national conferences on character education as needed
- Earned Doctorate in Instructional Leadership (Educational Administration) or a related field
- Experience as an assistant principal, principal, central office, supervisor, assistant superintendent, or superintendent, or administrator of career and technical education
- Strong interest and commitment in developing expertise in virtue-based character education
- Experience in practitioner-scholar research and professional presentations
- Successful teaching experience at the graduate level
- Successful online teaching experience
- Event planning experience – large meetings or conferences
- Experience working with teams in collaborative settings
- Willingness to travel, including overnights stays, as needed
- This position requires work on campus in Tuscaloosa as well as in various locations across the state.
About the University of Alabama
The University of Alabama is experiencing tremendous growth, with enrollment reaching 37,842 students for fall 2020, compared to 27,052 in the fall of 2008. Approximately 40% of UA’s freshman class scored 30 or higher on the ACT and the entering class in 2020 carries an average high school grade-point average of 3.83, with more than 42.3% having a high school GPA of 4.0 or higher. The University of Alabama is a leader among public universities nationwide in the enrollment of National Merit Scholars with more than 600 currently enrolled and has R1: Doctoral Universities – Very High Research Activity status in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. In addition, The University of Alabama made Forbes’ list of the Best Employers for New Graduates in 2021. Finally, The University of Alabama has a total statewide economic impact of: $2.905 billion; 13,784 jobs; and $142.9 million in income and sales taxes (UA Center for Business and Economic Research). Please visit our University webpage (https://www.ua.edu) for more details on University activities and faculty support.
Life in Tuscaloosa
The University of Alabama, located in West Alabama, is 45 minutes southwest of Birmingham, Alabama. Tuscaloosa, a quintessential college town with a population of 101,113, has excellent recreational, educational, and cultural opportunities available. The Tuscaloosa area provides hiking, biking, and running trails, as well as playgrounds, parks, and dog parks to enjoy the outdoors. Lake Tuscaloosa, Lake Nicol and Lake Lurleen offer sporting and leisure activities. Tuscaloosa is within driving distance of Atlanta, Nashville, New Orleans, Memphis, and the beaches of Gulf Shores. Tuscaloosa is also home to the Alabama Museum of Natural History, The Bryant Museum, Children’s Hands-On Museum, Moundville Archaeological Park, multiple sporting events, concerts hosted at the Tuscaloosa Amphitheater, and several festivals (e.g., West Alabama Food & Wine Festival, Druid City Arts Festival, Druid City Pride Festival, Kentuck Arts Festival, etc.). Tuscaloosa continues to grow in population, cultural events, and shopping alongside the University. Please visit the Tuscaloosa Chamber of Commerce (https://westalabamachamber.com/) to learn more.
Further information about the college and program is accessible at www.education.ua.edu.
Questions regarding this position can be directed to Dr. Brenda Mendiola at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Starting Date: August 16, 2023 or sooner if possible
• Health and Life Insurance
• TIAA-CREF available
• Teachers’ Retirement System of Alabama
• Summer employment available on an as needed basis
Application Deadline: The review of credentials will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Application Process: Please apply online at https://facultyjobs.ua.edu. A letter of application and vita are required to complete the online application process.
Prior to hiring, the final candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background investigation and submit “official” transcript(s) of all graduate coursework.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert