Maintenance Plumber, UM Housing
- University of Montana
- Montana, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 15, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Professional Fields, Vocational & Technical Fields, Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana – Missoula, University of Montana Western (Dillon), and Helena College. Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com*.
UM Housing invites applications for two (2) Journeyman Plumbers to assist with the total maintenance of 770 residential apartments and 9 residence halls. This position must have good knowledge of the methods, materials, practices, equipment machines and techniques used in the trade of plumbing. This position requires the individual to have the ability to follow oral and written instructions, work from drawings, blueprints and sketches to assess material and equipment needs and possess the knowledge and practice of safety rules related to the trade. The maintenance plumber will also be expected to work independently and efficiently in difficult situations.
- Experience in the standard practices, methods, and processes in the use of materials, tools, and equipment of the trade.
- Ability to install and maintain drain, waste and vent plumbing systems, water piping, plumbing fixtures, water-using appliances and equipment, water mains, sewer mains, storm drains, gas lines and gas-using appliances.
- Ability to install and repair, pipe assemblies, fittings, valves, appliances such as dishwashers and water heaters, and fixtures such as sinks and toilets, using hand and power tools, underground storm, sanitary and water piping systems and extend piping to connect fixtures and plumbing to these systems.
- Ability to assemble pipe sections, tubing and fittings, using couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement, plastic solvent, caulking, soldering, and brazing in all types of plumbing systems including threaded, brass, copper, pex, PVC, and cast iron.
- Ability to use plumbing and pipefitting hand and power tools (i.e., drills, saws, wrenches, grinders, threading machines, hoists, core drilling and sewer machines).
- Ability to measure, cut, thread, and bend pipe to required angle, using hand and power tools or machines such as pipe cutters, pipe-threading machines, and pipe-bending machines.
- Ability and skill to communicate clearly and effectively with Foreman, other crafts people, work order desk, the campus community and public.
- Ability to receive written and verbal requests.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions, work from drawings, blueprints and sketches.
- Knowledge of safety rules and procedures related to the trade and abide by all OSHA safety.
- Work on steam systems and pneumatics in residence halls
- Obtain a low-pressure boilers license
- Read and interpret blue prints and work form drawings, blue prints, and sketches
- Be self-directed, work independently with minimal supervision, plan ahead, anticipate problems and coordinate multiple jobs simultaneously.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and members of the crafts
- Develop a working knowledge of the University of Montana’s safety policies and procedures and to obtain an ABPA Backflow Preventer testing license.
(Qualified candidates must be able to meet minimum requirements and perform the primary functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.)
- Lifting: Ground to 60 inches, up to 55 pounds. Ground to overhead, up to 50 pounds.
- Carrying: Front carry up to 75 pounds for 10 feet or less. Front carry, or 1 handed carry, of up to 75 pounds, up and down 2 flights of stairs.
- Pushing and pulling forces required (during the use of tools): 65 pounds sustained push, and 75 pounds sustained pull.
- Squatting occasionally, and kneeling, crouching, squatting or sitting on the floor to work at low levels, for a prolonged period of time.
- Static trunk forward bending and / or twisting occasionally, from a standing, crouching or kneeling position while using tools.
- Reaching frequently with your arms in all directions.
- Working overhead occasionally from various positions (standing, squatting, and kneeling).
- Balancing when climbing and working on a ladder or scaffold.
- Walking various distances throughout the day on even and uneven surfaces, distances up to 1000 feet.
- Use of various grip circumferences (up to 5 ½ inches), and strengths (up to 75 pounds of grip force in both hands), as well as static grip positions, during the use of various tools, loosening and tightening pipes of various sizes, using wrenches, and while manipulating various work materials.
- Use of foot controls and hand controls to drive and operate pickup truck.
- Manual steadiness, dexterity, speed, and coordination:
- Manual Dexterity — The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp and manipulate objects.
- Wrist-Finger Speed — The ability to make fast, simple, repeated movements of the fingers, hands, and wrists.
Minimum Required Experience
- Must have a valid State of Montana plumbing license or ability to obtain one upon hire. This license will be required by the first date of employment.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain, a valid Montana driver’s license.
- Proficient at welding.
- Certified pipe welder.
- Knowledge of fire sprinkler systems.
- Backflow Preventer testing license.
- Knowledge of D.I. water systems.
- Knowledge of steam systems and pneumatics.
- Ability to perform gas, arc, MIG and TIG welding with proficient knowledge of welding equipment and tools (welders, gas torches, bead blasters).
UM Housing provides safe, clean, healthy, and affordable living and learning facilities that foster an inclusive community living environment for students, staff, faculty, and guests. Services provided in these facilities support and nurture educational experiences and personal development at the University of Montana.
The University of Montana is flagship, research institution with approximately 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000, surrounded by mountains and three rivers converge. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Journeyman Plumber (Maintenance Plumber)
Position Number: 103770, NEW
Department: UM Housing
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE, Monday through Friday 7:00 am to 4:30 pm, 12 months/year.
Union Affiliation: Plumbers & Pipefitters Local 459
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan,
partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
Must be eligible to work in the United State upon hire. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Tuesday, February 14, 2023 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
* Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert