- Colgate University
- New York, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 13, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Computer Services & Information Technology, Technology Administration/Other, Chief Technology & Information Officers
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Colgate Information Technology Services ( ITS ) is a dynamic organization that serves the diverse technology needs of the University community. ITS prides itself on exceptional customer service and building creative solutions to meet the unique needs of our liberal arts campus. ITS endeavors to foster an inclusive environment that values diversity, professional development, creativity, and innovation to support the growth of individuals and the organization. Under the leadership of the CIO, ITS is embarking on a strategic planning process to align services and resources with several exciting new initiatives identified in Colgate’s Third Century Plan.
We seek an experienced and thoughtful Infrastructure Engineer, to join the Enterprise Infrastructure services team within Information Technology Services. This is an exciting opportunity to help strengthen and reimagine the campus infrastructure, and help ITS to build and support technology architecture and services for the future. This position will play a key role in maintaining, and improving the campus infrastructure and its many future transformative projects and initiatives across campus including the construction of the Middle Campus, Lower Campus, and future Athletics facilities.
This position will serve as part of a collaborative cross-functional team that will help lead efforts in providing reliable and resilient network infrastructure services for use across the entire Colgate community.
We’d love to hear from you – even if you do not meet 100% of the preferred/desired qualifications.
This position supports the Colgate mission by providing a reliable and robust network and hardware infrastructure that supports the academic and administrative areas of the university. This position is responsible for installing, configuring and maintaining the physical network, connections and servers used at Colgate University.
Specific Accountabilities include but are not limited to:
- Implement, maintain and improve infrastructure systems and services by regularly monitoring to prevent problems and assess the need for improvements.
- Actively research current and emerging networking technologies to better understand and apply network engineering best practices and procedures.
- Ensure security, uptime, efficiency and functionality of Colgate’s wired and wireless network infrastructure, DHCP and DNS services, network authentication service (Clearpass), storage, remote sites, hardware and software based firewalls, Voice-over-IP (VoIP) systems, virtual machine environment (VMware), and cloud infrastructure through regular maintenance and improvements.
- Maintain knowledge of security standards and requirements. Understand and apply appropriate security and privacy concepts and methods, and assist with security incident response.
- Proactively identify, analyze, diagnose, document, and resolve all technical issues and requests in a ticketing system.
- Works cooperatively with colleagues, partners, and customers.
- Maintain general awareness of advances and current trends in technology. Research issues and resolutions to technical problems. Acquire and maintain technical knowledge through reading, self-paced training, computer-based training, or video-based training, courses, seminars, and other methods as necessary.
- Occasionally manage technical assignments, and maintain key relationships with student workers and/or interns and provide training and leadership to them as necessary.
- Maintain and track inventory of systems, equipment, and services
- Perform other related duties and projects as assigned to assist the department in achieving and maintaining its mission.
Professional Experience/ Qualifications
- Demonstrated knowledge of DHCP, DNS, firewalls, VPNs, and troubleshooting wired and wireless network issues.
- Experience working with and knowledge of operating an enterprise level network using at least one major equipment manufacturer .
- Experience working with and knowledge of server virtualization (VMWare) and configuration of servers including Active Directory, web servers, database servers, and email.
- Experience scripting relating to managing network infrastructure or servers.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate with people of all skill levels
- Ability to work both independently and within a team. Willing to collaborate, share ideas openly and learn.
- Demonstrated understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for working in a highly collaborative environment with diverse populations.
- Knowledge of copper and fiber cabling, TCP /IP, routing, BGP, Palo Alto firewalls, and cloud networking infrastructure.
- Experience with Aruba wired and/or wireless networks.
- Experience in higher education environments is preferred.
A Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or a related degree is preferred, or equivalent additional professional experience in essential duties and responsibilities.
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions Summary
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert