- San Jose State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 13, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Business & Management, Accounting & Finance, Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Financial Affairs
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The Accountant II independently performs the full range of professional accounting work which requires a thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) in Accounting Services. This Accountant II position focuses primarily, but not exclusively, on Student Financial Services, Financial Aid Accounting, and Student related A/R.
- Ensuring that assigned accounting activities are carried out in accordance with established policies and procedures and general accounting standards
- Correcting and reconciling account balances to external data
- Identifying actual or potential problems and recommending corrective or preventative action
- Developing financial statements and reports
- Predicting the effects of change in operating programs
- Interpreting new and existing federal and state regulations relative to their assigned area of responsibility
- Providing consultative services to campus administrators in resolving accounting problems
- Recommending changes to and assisting with the documentation and maintenance of business processes, standards and procedures
- Providing training, guidance, and assistance to other employees
- Providing work direction to other professional and technical staff
- Cross train as needed to assist other Accountant II positions
- Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Advanced proficiency with current word processing and spreadsheet, software programs, web browsers, query tools, integrated financial systems and/or other types of record management systems
- General understanding of internal control methods
- Working knowledge of federal student financial aid annual reporting requirements, and quarterly grant reporting requirements
- Ability to interpret and follow instructions and policy guidelines
- Ability to analyze financial and statistical data to draw conclusions
- Ability to present statistical and mathematical data
- Ability to utilize problem solving techniques in finding solutions to complex accounting problems
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Ability to communicate effectively with others inside and outside the organization, including conveying technical information to non-accountants
- Ability to analyze and interpret accounting data and prepare clear, accurate financial statements and reports
- Ability to understand and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies and principles to the analysis of complex accounting problems
- Ability to make decisions and recommendations regarding accounting activities
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple demands to resolve issues and inquiries in a timely manner
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, punctuality, teamwork and commitment to achieving departmental objectives
- Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree with a major in accounting, business administration, finance or a closely related field or a combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities
- Equivalent to two years of progressively responsible professional accounting experience
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Accounting or related field
- 2-3 years of accounting experience
- Experience using Oracle PeopleSoft ERP (or similar)
- Experience with CSU or higher education. Governmental accounting experience
Classification: Accountant II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $6,000/month - $6,650/month
CSU Salary Range: $4,452/month - $8,592/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com .
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: December 13, 2022 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert