- San Jose State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 13, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Business & Management, Accounting & Finance, Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Financial Affairs
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The entry level professional Accountant I position has primary responsibility for the generation of routine financial reports and statements and/or analysis requiring understanding and interpretation in the application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the variety of work assignments in Accounting Services. Under the direction of an experienced accountant, incumbents are given work assignments that are designed to expand practical experience and develop professional judgment in the application of accounting principles. This Accountant I position focuses primarily, but not exclusively, on Student Finance and Financial Aid.
- Examine financial documents for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with established policies and procedures and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Reconcile reports and financial data with financial statements on file
- Correct and reconcile account balances to external data
- Prepare journal entries
- Research and resolve problems associated with incorrect entries, deviations from established procedures, and other inconsistencies with accounting principles
- Prepare routine financial reports and statements. (i.e. GAAP Journal Entries, WDesk Footnotes, PBCs required by the CO, SCO, or external auditors)
- Provide input to the documentation and maintenance of business processes, standards and procedures
- Participate in cross-training to back-fill other Accountant I positions as needed
- General knowledge of GAAP and general understanding of internal control methods
- Knowledge of office methods and procedures, proficiency with current word processing and Spreadsheet, software programs, web browsers, query tools, integrated financial systems and/or other types of records management systems
- Ability to interpret and follow instructions and policy guidelines
- Ability to analyze and interpret accounting data to draw conclusions and prepare clear, accurate financial statements and reports
- Utilize problem-solving techniques
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Communicate effectively with others inside and outside the unit, including conveying technical information to non-accountants
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple demands, meet deadlines, and provide punctual customer service
- Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree with a major in accounting, business administration, finance or a closely related field or a combination of education
- Experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities
- Experience using Oracle PeopleSoft ERP (or similar)
- Experience with CSU or higher education
- Governmental accounting experience
Classification: Accountant I
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,750/month - $5,083/month
CSU Salary Range: $4,039/month - $7,568/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com .
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: December 13, 2022 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert