Recovery Community Coordinator
- Virginia Tech
- Virginia, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 12, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Community Relations & Institutional Outreach, Student Affairs, Counseling, Other Student Affairs, Student Activities & Services
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The Recovery Community Coordinator will support the mission of Hokie Wellness by providing programs and services designed to encourage and support healthy lifestyles for students in recovery. The Recovery Community Coordinator is responsible for supporting the initiatives of the Virginia Tech Recovery Community through direct student support and outreach. Reporting to the Recovery Community Assistant Director, this position will assist in facilitating group meetings, one-on-one student conversations, as well as managing the recovery space, The Roost, and planning outreach events and engagement activities.
Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree in health education, health communications, social work, counseling, higher education, or other relevant human services or public health field, with at least one direct experience working with a collegiate recovery community (or closely related experience). We welcome and value the lived experience of individuals in recovery.
● Understanding of young adult challenges, emerging needs, and top concerns
● Experience planning, implementing, and evaluating recovery support initiatives and programs
● Experience working in higher education, with an emphasis on direct student interaction
● Ability to run groups and perform outreach services to welcome and include a diverse population of students, staff, and faculty
● Ability to maintain ethical standards of professional care and confidentiality
● Commitment to diversity, social justice, and creating inclusive environments
● Understanding and knowledge of harm-reduction framework, substance use disorders, recovery, and recovery support services
● Familiarity with various pathways to recovery and a recovery-oriented continuum of care
● Ability to create and maintain collaborative partnerships across campus and within the community
● Excellent organizational, interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
● Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes evenings and weekends as needed
● Qualifications as a Certified Peer Recovery Specialist (C-PRS), Certified Substance Abuse Counselor (CSAC), or other related or equivalent certification
● Professional and/or personal experience collaborating, volunteering, or working with collegiate recovery community organizations
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
About Student Affairs
Student Affairs at Virginia Tech fosters a community where each student creates a customized experience to meet their goals. Building on our motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence . We seek candidates who adopt and practice our Principles of Community , which are fundamental to our ongoing efforts to increase access and inclusion and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth. We are actively seeking people to join our community and help us prepare leaders for the world. Our people in Student Affairs are committed to student well-being and assuring that all students Experience VT by demonstrating, supporting, and operationalizing our Aspirations for Student Learning . If you are someone dedicated to ensuring student success, then we want you to consider being a part of our team!
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Tanya Young at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: December 12, 2022
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert