Undergraduate Laboratory Engagement Manager
- Virginia Tech
- Virginia, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 9, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Education, Curriculum & Instruction, Instructional Technology & Design, Science, Technology & Mathematics, Agriculture & Animal Sciences, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Other Science & Technology
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The Department of Food Science & Technology at Virginia Tech seeks candidates for a Undergraduate laboratory engagement manager. Our undergraduate program currently serves 80 majors and expects to grow. This is a 12-month calendar year (CY) faculty lecturer track appointment.
This position will be responsible for supporting the FST undergraduate teaching program by providing instruction and primary management and oversight of the teaching laboratories, as well as work as part of a team to expand, develop and manage experiential learning opportunities for our students. The successful candidate must be committed to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion in the position. Specific job tasks related to each responsibility include:
1) Management of teaching laboratories in the Food Science & Technology department including some collegiate course instruction:
• Organize, assign tasks and provide oversight for graduate teaching assistants in lab course teaching; including assisting in instruction of lab courses (Food Microbiology, Food Chemistry and Food Analysis) as needed.
• Present pre-lab lecture materials and provide oversight during lab sessions, typically alongside a graduate teaching assistant.
• Operate, maintain and prepare teaching lab equipment (including but not limited to autoclaves, spectrophotometers, microscopes), materials and supplies for college laboratory courses;
• Develop and improve upon lab exercises including creation/modification/management of instructional materials for undergraduate courses;
• Manage funds for teaching lab equipment maintenance, repair, and replacement, and supply replenishment;
2) Develop, manage and track undergraduate experiential learning opportunities for undergraduates:
• Build relationships with external partners and alumni to expand upon opportunities for our students.
• Work as part of a team to connect undergraduate students with experiential learning opportunities (research, internships, global).
• Maintain a working list of opportunities available to students
• Maintain documentation and assist with evaluations of student experiential learning progress.
3) Advise undergraduates working to complete undergraduate degree in Food Science.
• Serve as a secondary advisor for undergraduates as they develop and move through the FST undergraduate curriculum as needed to assist the Undergraduate Program Director.
• Assist in curricular development and scheduling as needed to assist the Undergraduate Program Director.
● MS in Food Science or related field
● Experience teaching class or lab in a college setting
● Excellent presentation skills
● Proven presentation and communication skills with strong attention to detail
● Experience working collaboratively within an organization
● Commitment to pedagogical methods and practices that address diversity, equity and inclusion
• Experience mentoring undergraduate students in skills in a research laboratory setting
• Experience working within or collaborating with the food industry
• Experience advising undergraduate students
Commensurate with Experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Dr. Monica Ponder at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: December 9, 2022
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert