Associate Vice Provost for Educational Equity
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to ensuring that
diversity, equity, and inclusion are central to the success of a
world-class research institution. We invite nominations and
applications for the position of Associate Vice Provost for
Educational Equity. Reporting directly to the Vice Provost for
Educational Equity, the Associate Vice Provost will be an
experienced and accomplished diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI)
professional who will assist with strategic leadership and
consultation for the University's efforts to advance diversity,
equity, and inclusion. This administrator-level position, located
on the University Park campus, supervises seven full-time
professional staff: three equity consultants, the director of
assessment, a multimedia specialist, a computer programmer/analyst,
and an administrative support assistant.
Established in 1990, the Office of the Vice Provost for Educational Equity
committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive campus environment
throughout Penn State's twenty-four campuses. The Office of
Educational Equity serves as a catalyst and advocate for Penn
State's diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives by providing
University-wide leadership to increase Penn State's DEI
- Assist the Vice Provost with interpreting and operationalizing
Educational Equity's mission and the University's diversity goals
to internal and external stakeholders.
- Coordinate Educational Equity's strategic planning and unit
- Engage with senior leadership in critical functional areas
including academic colleges; Commonwealth campuses; the Office of
Planning, Assessment, and Institutional Research; Human Resources;
Student Affairs; Strategic Communications; and the Affirmative
Action Office to guide the goals outlined in the University's
Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Work collaboratively with the Office of Planning, Assessment,
and Institutional Research to implement DEI-focused strategic
planning and to administer the University-wide climate survey.
- Assist with the President's Commissions for Equity (the
Commission for Women; the Commission on Racial/Ethnic Diversity;
the Commission on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer
Equity) and the Disability Access Initiative.
- Assist with the Educational Opportunity Planning Committee seed
grant program for the University's 24 campuses.
- Work closely on equity-minded efforts with Educational Equity
Multicultural Resource Center, Office of Veterans Programs, Student
Disability Resources, Office of Scholars Programs, Upward Bound,
Upward Bound Migrant, Upward Bound Math and Science, Talent Search
(University Park), Talent Search (Penn State York), and the
Educational Opportunity Center (Philadelphia).
Required skills and knowledge:
- Attend Educational Equity's Campus Environment Team and
Administrative Council for Equity meetings; and chair these
meetings in the absence of the Vice Provost.
- Assist with Educational Equity's professional development
- Assist Educational Equity's facilities renovations and space
allocations, as well as technical support.
- Work collaboratively with Educational Equity fundraising and
- Fluency with the scholarship around diversity, equity, and
- Proven cultural competence and demonstrated knowledge and
application of intersectional diversity principles and
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the
ability to facilitate nuanced conversations around diversity,
equity, and inclusion with all levels of internal and external
- Awareness and understanding of the DEI-related national issues
and emerging trends currently impacting higher education.
- Experience in advancing equity-minded assessment.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent consultation and negotiation skills.
- Experience in budget development and management.
- Ability to build trust, create allies, and sustain mutually
respectful relationships with administrators, faculty, staff,
students, and external collaborators.
- Earned doctorate.
- Ten years of experience in senior positions within higher
education administration and/or public/private agencies.
Employment will require successful completion of background
check(s) in accordance with University policies. Final candidates
for the position will be required to complete a full background
check process, including education, employment, credit, and
criminal as appropriate. For full consideration, please attach a
resume/CV and a cover letter.
Apply online at https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Staff/job/University-Park-Campus/Associate-Vice-Provost--Administrator-_REQ_0000018021
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS:
For more about safety at
Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains
information about crime statistics and other safety and security
matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/
which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard
copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer,
and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all
qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin,
disability or protected veteran status.