Open Until Filled
Associate Director, Patient and Family Giving
Department this Position Reports to
Medical and Healthcare Advancement
Hiring Range Minimum
Hiring Range Maximum
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year
Scheduled Hours per Week
One or two days in the office a month as a team, and otherwise as
needed based on effectively engaging donors, clinical partners and
Location of Position
21 Lafayette Street
Remote Work Eligibility?
Is this a term position?
If yes, length of term in months.
Is this a grant funded position?
This role will serve as part of the team, under the leadership of
the Senior Associate Director of Patient and Family Giving, focused
on identifying and engaging patients and families who have had
clinical experiences at Dartmouth-Hitchcock and an interest in
philanthropy. The associate director will oversee the
identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a
personal portfolio of prospects. The position will work closely
with the leadership of several clinical departments, including
engaging department leadership with potential donors and supporting
the department’s participation in the physician and nurse
philanthropy training program.
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
Bachelors plus 2-3 years' experience or equivalent combination of
education and experience
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and
Skills & Knowledge
· Ability to work with and
command the respect of senior officers, faculty and administrators,
and high-level volunteers.
· Excellent oral, written, and project management skills.
· Excellent organizational skills.
· Strong interpersonal skills, and adept at both negotiating and
· Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
self-motivated and proactive.
· Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and to set
· Expertise in operating database, spreadsheet, and Web-based
software applications in a complex computer information system
· Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with
discretion; understand and follow HIPAA guidelines Strong
commitment to diversity.
· Creative, imaginative and original thinker.
· Brings a sense of humor and joy to the workplace
· Two or more years of demonstrated success in fundraising in a
complex development organization.
· Demonstrated appreciation for the solicitation process.
Experience in pipeline development, moves management and the
identification and management of volunteers.
Understanding of and comfort with the intricacies of business
• Experience working in an academic medical system or university
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title
Dorothy Heinrichs, Director of Patient and Family Giving
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We
prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any
other legally protected status. Applications by members of all
underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and
successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which
may include a criminal background check, reference checks,
verification of work history, and verification of any required
academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results
acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not
automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background
check information will be used in a confidential,
non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal
Special Instructions to Applicants
All Dartmouth College employees, whether working on-site or
remotely, are required to be up to date with vaccination against
COVID -19 (or to have received an approved exemption from
vaccination through the Office of Institutional Diversity and
Equity). Please visit https://dartgo.org/vaxpolicy
for details. Compliance with this requirement is a condition of
employment. Failure to meet this condition of employment within the
first 30 days may result in Dartmouth in its sole discretion ending
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of
tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited
in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated
or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details,
please see our policy. https://policies.dartmouth.edu/policy/tobacco-free-policy
• Working closely with Development Office and clinical leadership,
including department chairs, to identify fundraising priorities and
articulate compelling cases for support;
· Devises and implements donor-centric fundraising strategies to
meet personal activity and revenue metrics through portfolio
planning and moves management.
• Identifies, qualifies, cultivates, solicits, and stewards a
portfolio of ~125-175 patients, families, and community members
with the capacity to make multi-year gift commitments to
Dartmouth-Hitchcock between $100,000 and $1 million.
· Stewards donors, potential donors and family members through
personal visits when admitted to the hospital or in the Emergency
Department as appropriate in consultation with Senior Associate
Director of Patient and Family Giving.
· Qualifies new potential major gift prospects to grow the
solicitation pipeline for D-H.
· Documents and records all activities as appropriate in
Percentage Of Time
Program & Planning Management
• Engages in formulating and leading a comprehensive strategy to
provide opportunities to cultivate, engage, and steward top
prospects who have an interest in supporting the mission of D-H and
the clinical departments assigned to this role.
• In partnership with other members of the development team and
close collaboration with the StrategicEngagement team, develops
events and programming in support of fundraising and volunteer
objectives for the assigned departments
· Participates as a development partner with physicians and nurses
who are a part of the philanthropy training program. Attends
trainings and one-on-one coaching sessions with assigned
·Performs other duties assigned
Percentage Of Time
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural
awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with
Performs other duties as assigned.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Talent Acquisition Consultant
- American Library Association
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Dartmouth College Employment Website
- Internal Employee Referral
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed Jobs
- National Black MBA Association
- Recruit Military
- Valley News
- Other (Please specify below)
- If you answered 'Other' to the above question, please specify
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Additional Document #1
- Additional Document #2