Ctr for Health Equity Research
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity,
vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by
delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and
- This position is subject to the availability of funding. The
incumbent is not eligible for Service Professional non-renewal
notice, or Classified Staff layoff or recall status.
This position is for a trained health researcher who understands
issues and experiences specific to American Indian public health
education, health, and healthcare workforce in tribal communities.
This person will plan and coordinate research, evaluation, and
technical assistance activities related to Navajo-focused public
health education and workforce development initiatives at the
Center for Health Equity Research (CHER), under the Navajo Native
American Research Center for Health Partnership with Dine College.
This person will serve as a primary point of contact for student
enhancement project activities and logistics, communicate directly
with Dine College project staff, and will support research,
technical assistance, and evaluation.
Program Coordination & Administrative Support - 45%
- Plan and coordinate day-to-day activities of student research
- Assist the program by providing administrative support to
senior project staff.
- Assist with coordinating weekly, bi-weekly, monthly team
meetings with project partners.
- Collaborate directly with Dine College staff on recruitment and
admissions of summer research students.
- Oversight of the Indigenous Public Health Alliance with NAU MPH
students and Dine College BSPH students.
- May coordinate the work of support staff and student workers,
Data Collection & Analysis Coordination - 20%
- Plan and support data collection activities including (but not
limited to) observation, surveys, interviews, or focus groups.
- Data collection may be remote or require travel to partner
sites and may be conducted in English or Navajo.
- Plan, implement, and maintain data collection, monitoring, and
Co-lead the Development, Writing and Dissemination of Project
Products - 20%
- Support manuscript preparation at the direction of project
lead. Including literature review, reference development, writing,
and contribution to sections of manuscripts.
- Will also assist with writing reports (e.g. quarterly and
Program Evaluation Support - 10%
- Develop evaluation materials to support evaluation
- Write and present evaluation reports and progress updates.
- Participate in evaluation discussions with high school,
undergraduate, and graduate students, and early-stage
Other - 5%
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Public Health or related discipline,
- 2-4 years relevant research experience.
- A combination of related education, experience and training may
be used as an equivalent to the above Minimum Requirements.
- MPH preferred.
- Experience with guiding Navajo translators and traditional
- Previous experience of working with Dine College.
- Previous experience with communicating and collaborating with
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Intermediate knowledge and relationships with American Indian
- Intermediate knowledge and relationships with public health and
health systems serving Indigenous populations.
- Intermediate knowledge of qualitative research and program
evaluation methods, protocols, data collection and analysis.
- Intermediate technical understanding and proficiency related to
conducting public health research and evaluation, especially in
collaboration with tribal communities and service agencies.
- Understands issues specific to American Indian health research
and evaluation permissions and protocols.
- Ability to engage cultural humility in communication.
- Effectively organizes data and information
- Communicates effectively to both technical and non-technical
audiences, including external parties.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the
following: a criminal background investigation, an employment
history verification and a degree verification (in some cases)
prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a
fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the
state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal
E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new
employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year
Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result
of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery
reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed
calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU
uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report
crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the
Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual
Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this
campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire
safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing
and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you
would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the
NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the
department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $47,634. Annual salary commensurate with
candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair
Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or
compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent
benefit package including generous health, dental and vision
insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System;
paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for
employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at
NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website
. Classified Staff
employees are in a probationary status for their first six months
at NAU. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Employees offered a
position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's
BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits
on the first day of the
pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date.
Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in
benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in
the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability
coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period
following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity
for professional development. New
employee on-boarding training
includes courses to be completed
within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship
for this position.
January 3, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on
this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the
"Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you
need assistance completing your application there are instructions
available on the Human Resources website
or in person in the
Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus
- on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable
accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact
the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, DR@nau.edu
, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities,
veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Know Your Rights Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps,
and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606847&PostingSeq=1