Security Sensitive Position?
Hours of Work
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM M-F
Official TSU Title
ACADEMIC ADVISOR LIBERAL ARTS & BEHAVIORAL SCIENCES
Job Description Summary / TWC Summary
Under general supervision provides academic advisement and planning
to current and potential students using a variety of resources to
assist them with unique needs and processes associated within their
home school/ college and major; and to bring together academic and
campus resources necessary for academic success.
Essential Duties Summary
- Advise students in their specific major.
- Evaluate transfer credits.
- Register students for courses with approval.
- Develop academic plans.
- Assist in course selections.
- Complete academic audits.
- Discuss probation problems.
- Recruit students at local high schools and community
- Discuss academic probation/suspension with affected students
and make appropriate referrals when needed.
- Develop targeted completion advising plans for junior and
- Monitor academic progress.
- Attend career success fairs.
- Resolve academic and social issues.
- Communicate with faculty, department chairs and other campus
resources as necessary.
- Serve as an ultimate subject matter expert in several
professional disciplines and is the “go-to” expert on principles,
methods and procedures.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
$41,976.00 - $52,470.00
Bachelor’s degree or higher.
Valid Texas Driver’s License preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Multiple academic disciplines.
- Technical and functional principles and procedures.
- Microsoft Office Professional or similar applications.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Strong time management.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Lead the development or modification of work procedures in the
discipline or function for virtually any situation.
- Prepare detailed reports.
- Create methods and approaches to handle unique situations.
- Work independently.
- Advise and communicate effectively.
Three (3) years to five (5) years of related experience.
Desired start date
Position End Date (if temporary)
- Prolonged standing and/or walking.
- Handling light weight objects.
- Using or carrying equipment.
Posting Detail Information
UA EEO Statement
It is the policy of Texas Southern University to provide a work
environment that is free from discrimination for all persons
regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin,
individuals with disability, sexual orientation, or protected
veteran status in its programs, activities, admissions or
employment policies. This policy of equal opportunity is strictly
observed in all University employment-related activities such as
advertising, recruiting, interviewing, testing, employment
training, compensation, promotion, termination, and employment
benefits. This policy expressly prohibits harassment and
discrimination in employment based on race, color, religion,
gender, gender identity, genetic history, national origin,
individuals with disability, age, citizenship status, or protected
veteran status. This policy shall be adhered to in accordance with
the provisions of all applicable federal, state and local laws,
including, but not limited to, Title VII of the Civil Rights
Manual of Administrative Policies and Procedures
Open Until Filled (overrides close field)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Open to all applicants.
Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor’s degree or higher?
- * Do you have three (3) to five (5) years of related
- * Do you have experience using Microsoft Office Professional or
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Official Transcripts
- Other Document
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3