Part-Time Advisor I, Advising
- Lone Star College
- Texas, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 6, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Adult & Continuing Education Programs, Student Affairs, Academic Advising & Academic Support Services, Disabled Student Services
- Employment Type
- Part Time
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-North Harris
Lone Star College offers high-quality, low-cost academic transfer and career training education to 93,000+ students each semester. LSC has been named a 2021 Great Colleges to Work For® institution by the Chronicle of Higher Education and ranked 35th in Texas in the Forbes ‘America’s Best Employers By State’ list.
LSC consists of eight colleges, seven centers, eight Workforce Centers of Excellence and Lone Star Corporate College.
Lone Star College-North Harris, nestled on 200 acres of piney woods, is the original and largest college in the Lone Star College System family. Serving the community for more than three decades, LSC-North Harris offers more than 60 programs of study, including university-transfer and numerous education courses and programs. LSC-North Harris is keenly focused on leading-edge technology in emerging technical job fields.
Location address is 2700 W.W. Thorne Drive, Houston, TX 77073.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Advisor I meets with students in assigned discipline on a regular basis to provide advising, track academic progress and success/completion/retention. Advise students on proper course selection for credit programs and make appropriate referral to non-credit certificate programs including TSI regulations, course prerequisites, co-requisites and career advising. Collaborates with personnel in assigned department and related areas/other departments in order to identify potential early interventions need; assist Department Directors in planning and developing successful academic support programming and events.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Advises students in assigned department/discipline. Meets with students on a regular basis to track their academic progress and success
- Assists students with reviewing their Academic Advising Report and creating their MEP (My Educational Plan)
- Advises students on proper course selection for assigned discipline/department credit certificate and degree programs and makes referrals to non-credit certificate programs. Advising includes TSI regulations, course prerequisites, co-requisites and career advising
- Acquires and processes data regarding students in assigned discipline in order to complete job function
- Collaborates with personnel in assigned department and related areas (college staff and faculty) in order to identify potential early interventions needed
- Refers students to counselors, college resources (organizations) and outside organizations when necessary
- Assists the Directors/Managers in planning and developing successful academic support programming and events
- Develops department/position objectives and strategies
- Meets with students on a regular basis to track their progress and success. Maintains accurate documentation of meetings
- Monitors processes, materials and surroundings, ensuring accuracy and compliance with all relevant rules, regulations and policies at all times
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency with common office software
- High level of customer service
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Strong attention to accuracy and detail for tracking of student success and student educational plans
- Ability to communicate and work well with all levels of students
- Ability to prioritize duties
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 1 year of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Previous experience working with students who have unique barriers and experience in assisting these students with their educational success
- Experience in a higher education setting
Hourly Pay Rate is $19.57
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
Position Schedule: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm; 19 Hours a week.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert