The goals of the Eagle Achievement Center are to promote student
academic success, increase retention, and provide services to
empower student development. The writing Lab Coordinator oversees
the tutoring and services to promote knowledge, skills, and
abilities related Writing skills. This position directly supervises
student staff tutors. This position collaborates with academic
departments and faculty to promote tutoring and obtain syllabuses
to prepare for demand and resources. The coordinator is well-versed
in resources and support services within the Eagle Achievement
Center and throughout the campus to support students in need of
- Provide supervision and leadership to student para-professional
staff tutors providing peer tutoring.
- Assist in development of peer tutoring training and
- Provide support through personal tutoring, coaching, assignment
consultations, and community workshops.
- Work with students to gain skills, tools, and resources
necessary to build confidence in writing and research skills.
- Provide direct synchronous and asynchronous Writing support to
students including addressing topics of academic writing, creative
writing, business writing, presentations, and citations.
- Assist in data preparation of utilization of the Writing
- Monitor best-practices in the areas of responsibility to
continuously adapt and refine offerings to students.
- Facilitate student engagement by recommending resources,
conducting referrals, and supporting overall services of the Eagle
- Facilitate high quality engagement that promotes academic
success and student satisfaction for all undergraduate students;
especially high performing students.
- Participate in Eagle Achievement Center sponsored programs and
- Assist in execution of policies, procedures, reporting, and
assessment of assigned retention initiative.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Writing, English, Literature, or a related
- Master’s degree preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Minimum of three years’ experience in tutoring or student
support, specifically in writing.
- Experience in providing services and support for traditional
and non-traditional students, and experience working with
Physical Demands of Position:
- Student centered, self-starter with working knowledge of
writing and tutoring pedagogy
- Strong critical thinking, communication, and interpersonal
- Ability to work as a team member and independently while
developing strong collaborative relationships with colleagues,
students, student services, and academic services units.
- Ability to exercise excellent professional judgment and
discretion, making decisions on a regular basis that impact student
welfare and success.
- Ability to work with students of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision to meet deadlines,
manage multiple tasks, and prioritize duties.
- Knowledge of student development and resources to promote
- Ability to maintain highly confidential information.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite programs.
Conditions of Employment
Position Detail Information
- Occasional evening and weekend work for extra tutoring hours at
midterm, finals, etc.
- Occasional travel required for retention initiatives and
- Ability to lift and carry small parcels, packages, and other
items as needed for outreach to students and retention programs and
Position Detail Information
Position End Date (if temporary)
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant
COVID -19 vaccinations are strongly encouraged for all University
employees. Medical and religious exemption request are accepted and
are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Please submit any/all
documents related to this matter to AskHR@coppin.edu