Director of Student Experience
- Coppin State University
- Maryland, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 8, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Student Affairs, Academic Advising & Academic Support Services, Counseling, Disabled Student Services, Other Student Affairs, Student Activities & Services
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The goals of the Eagle Achievement Center is to promote student academic success, increase retention, and provide services to empower student development. The Director of Student Experience oversees the first-year experience programs, new student orientation, second-year experience programs, and Career and Professional Services. This position directly supervises a team of 2 in the Office of First Year Experience, 1 staff in the Sophomore Year Experience, and 2 staff in Career and Professional Services. This position oversees the offering of programs, events, and resources within the applicable assigned areas to promote student success. The Director of Student Experience is well-versed in resources and support services within the Eagle Achievement Center and throughout the campus to support students in need of additional supports, and this person recommends opportunities for new services or resources to address any gaps in services.
- Provide supervision and leadership to the First Year Experience staff, Sophomore Year Experience Staff, and Career and Professional Services.
- Develop and empower staff to execute events and services to impact student success to each defined student audience.
- Oversee plans and processes for developing Living Learning Communities in collaboration with Residence Life and Housing.
- Oversee plans for robust offerings of events and resources targeting first-year students, and second-year students., and
- Oversee processes for placement exams for first-year students.
- Represent the needs and advocacy for student populations assigned, including first-year students, second-year students, and commuter students.
- Monitor best-practices in the areas of responsibility to continuously adapt and refine offerings to students.
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with faculty and other administrators for the purpose of collaborative efforts for student success. Facilitate student engagement by recommending resources, conducting referrals, and supporting overall services of the Eagle Achievement Center.
- Oversee the development of a comprehensive orientation program for both new first-time in college students and transfer students.
- Work collaboratively to execute first-year seminar classes with Academic Affairs
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of academic program requirements, academic policy information, and university policies, processes, and mandates. Recommend changes to university policies, procedures, processes, and mandates to encourage student success especially for assigned student population areas.
- Keep abreast of the legal guidelines regarding academic advising and registration including those regulating confidentiality and privacy such as FERPA, HIPAA, etc.
- Facilitate high quality engagement that promotes academic success and student satisfaction for all undergraduate students, especially high performing students.
- Participate in Eagle Achievement Center sponsored programs and events. Assist in execution of policies, procedures, reporting, and assessment of assigned retention initiative.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in school counseling, psychology, education, social work, higher education administration or a closely related field.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in student engagement, experiences, or professional experience in a higher education environment in student support services.
- Experience in providing services and support for traditional and non-traditional students, and experience working with exploratory/undecided students.
- Student centered, self-starter with working knowledge of academic advising and coaching theories and practices.
- Experience in developing and refining policies and procedures in an advising or academic outreach office.
- Strong critical thinking, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work as a team member and independently while developing strong collaborative relationships with colleagues, students, student services, and academic services units.
- Ability to exercise excellent professional judgment and discretion, making decisions on a regular basis that impact student welfare and success.
- Ability to work with students of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision to meet deadlines, manage multiple tasks, and prioritize duties.
- Knowledge of student development and resources to promote student success.
- Ability to maintain highly confidential information.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite programs.
- Occasional evening and weekend work for events required.
- Occasional travel required for retention initiatives and professional development.
- Ability to lift and carry small parcels, packages, and other items as needed for outreach to students and retention programs and events.
Conditions of Employment
Position Detail Information
Position Detail Information
Position End Date (if temporary)
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant
COVID -19 vaccinations are strongly encouraged for all University employees. Medical and religious exemption request are accepted and are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Please submit any/all documents related to this matter to AskHR@coppin.edu .
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert