Special Maintenance Technician
POSITION TITLE:tSpecial Maintenance Technician
DEPARTMENT: Facility Services
DIVISION: Administrative Services
UNION: Facility Services
REPORTS TO: Maintenance Superintendent
PLACEMENT: Buildings and Grounds Level 4A or 4B
MINIMUM PAY RATE:t4A $33.45 per hour
*Internal candidates (4B): Hourly rate is subject to the terms of
the current union contract.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity,
gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an
AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates
who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
Special Maintenance employee performs installations, repairs and
specialized maintenance of building systems. Displays knowledge of
safe operation of equipment while maintaining the level of safety
required and exhibited by JJC and OSHA requirements. Assures
assigned work is completed in a professional efficient manner.
Accountable for prompt, efficient customer service.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Specialized working knowledge of operation and maintenance of
boilers, chillers, cooling towers, air handlers and related HVAC
related comfort equipment.
2. Maintenance, repair and installation of electrical, water, steam
distribution system components and kitchen equipment.
3. Alteration and renovation of classrooms, offices, laboratories,
4. Troubleshooting and emergency response measures to address
problems associated with fire alarm and elevators and lifts.
5. Operation, maintenance and repair of building automation systems
including, but not limited to, Metasys computer, pneumatic and
digital controls, fire alarm systems and assist in collection data
for reports related to equipment usage.
6. Operation, maintenance and repair of compressed air, controlled
compressed air and natural gas distribution systems.
7. Monitor indoor and outdoor air temperatures and humidity’s to
ensure economical use of comfort conditioning systems while
eliminating waste of utilities.
8. Computer literacy and working knowledge of building automation
systems. Metasys preferred.
9. Miscellaneous other duties related to the operation and
maintenance of building equipment and structures.
10. Report all damage of exterior campus facilities and equipment
to the Grounds Superintendent
11. Assist in snow removal when necessary.
12. Must be available for emergency response and part of the
emergency call in list for off hour response to HVAC and Utility
1. High school diploma.
2. Completion of technical school or college level training in
operation, maintenance and repair of heating, ventilating and air
conditioning comfort systems.
3. Responsible for troubleshooting the operations of the heating
and cooling systems, water treatment, preventative and corrective
maintenance of all related equipment, A.H.U. ventilators, controls,
thermostats, etc. Have a good working knowledge of the operation
and the ability to complete repairs to all HVAC equipment and all
related electrical and mechanical controls.
4. Basic knowledge of the operation, maintenance and repair of
electrical and plumbing systems at commercial/industrial level.
Ability to perform troubleshooting, repairs and installations of
5. Basic familiarity with fire alarms, elevators/lifts with the
ability to respond to emergency calls.
6. Ability to read blueprints, technical equipment manuals, and
research technical information via the internet.
7. Ability to lift and carry a maximum of fifty (50) lbs., climb
ladders and work in tight spaces. Willing and able to work in an
open lift to a minimum of thirty (30) feet.
8. Must pass physical examination.
9. Eyesight at or correctable to 20-20. Normal or correctable to
10. CFC Certification or must acquire the certification within one
(1) year of hire.
11. Must possess and maintain a valid Illinois Driver’s
12. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective
working relationships with other members of the college and
community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional
13. Demonstrated commitment to the college’s core values of respect
and inclusion, sustainability, integrity, collaboration, humor and
well-being, innovation and quality.
1. 3 (three) years of working experience with HVAC equipment at the
2. Delta and/or Johnson Control Systems extended
3. English and Spanish verbal and written communication
4. Demonstrated multicultural competence.
1. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, bend, use
hands to finger, handle, feel, reach with hands and arms, climb
ladders or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, see and hear,
push/pull equipment and supplies.
2. Ability to lift, carry, stack and maneuver objects on a regular
basis with a minimum weight of 50 lbs. is required.
3. Vision requirements include close and distance vision and
ability to adjust focus.
4. Ability to work from a ladder or power lift above ground to a
height of 30 feet.
1. Work is indoors/outdoors.
2. The employee must be able to work safely in an environment
containing caustic chemicals, cleaning materials, dust and
3. Frequently required to work under inclement weather
4. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and
5. Be willing and able to go up in an open lift to heights of
approximately 30 feet.
6. Display knowledge of safe operation of equipment while
maintaining the level of safety required and exhibited by JJC and
7. Duties are performed indoors in the usual office and/or outdoor
8. Work Schedule: Unless notified otherwise from their supervisor,
Facility Service employees are required to report to work during
school closures, building closures, inclement weather, emergency
situations, and other circumstances during which other College
employees may not be required to report to campus.
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.