Job Posting Information
Job Posting Number
Accessibility & Accommodations Coordinator
Regular or Contingent II
Desired Start Date
$68,000 - $73,000
Open Until Filled
Duties and Responsibilities
Case Management (60%)
Student Retention Support (30%)
- Serve as initial point of contact for all students requesting
accommodations; assist students with completion of necessary forms
- Determine reasonable accommodations; coordinates program
services and student accommodations with faculty and staff.
- Provide overview of program and services; conduct orientation
and general information sessions for new and continuing DSS
- Counsel students in the following areas: rights and
responsibilities with regard to academic accommodations,
departmental policies and procedures, career awareness, and
- Complete and maintain timely and accurate files and records in
Accommodate related to student contact; assume responsibility for
data entry and reporting of correct and accurate information;
maintain various documentation including to request and monitor
required medical documentation.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of DSS to research best
practices, policies and procedures in alignment with ADA
guidelines; proactively develop systems and services to incorporate
best practices for accommodations and services.
- Assist the director with training, scheduling and supervision
of student workers, hourly staff and volunteers to coordinate
services for students.
Engagement & Outreach (5%)
- Provide individual and group demonstrations on technology
- Develop and facilitates workshops on executive functioning and
- Monitor students’ academic progress. Provide check-in
appointments with students who are struggling academically to
provide resources and referrals as needed to support student
success and retention.
- Refer students to additional campus support services.
- Work to proactively address and remove barriers to learning,
while fostering an inclusive and accessible experience for students
Additional Duties (5%)
- Participate on departmental, divisional or campus-wide
committees related to disability services and provide training for
- Plan and implement one or more annual events to increase
awareness of DSS services.
- Collaborate with other DSS offices (national and local) and
partners across campus to continually innovate and deliver
services/accommodations in proactive, inclusive way.
- Participate in professional development and training to keep
current in disability services.
A Bachelor’s degree with two years professional work experience
with individuals with disabilities. A Master’s Degree in
Rehabilitation Counseling, Counseling, Special Education or related
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- A minimum of two (2) years of professional work experience with
individuals with disabilities in an educational or service support
- Experience working with individuals with diverse backgrounds
that may include racial, ethnic, socio-economic, and cultural.
- Education, training and /or knowledge of federal laws and
regulations governing the provision of services to persons with
disabilities including the ADA and Sections 504 of the
- Ability to learn a wide array of technologies and basic
computer programs (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint,
Zoom, Publisher, MS Teams, BlackBoard).
Conditions of Employment
- Experience working in a postsecondary disability services
office supporting students with an array of disabilities and
- Demonstrated ability to review and interpret psychoeducational
evaluations and other forms of supporting documentation provided to
accompany requests for accommodation. This can be demonstrated
through coursework, work experience or a combination.
- Experience with technology support tools, i.e. Read&Write,
- Proficiency in ASL .
The candidate must be able to occasionally work evenings and
weekends, as needed.
Please be advised, COVID -19 vaccinations are not required but
strongly encouraged for faculty and staff to be employed at Bowie
State University. This protocol is subject to change.
BSU offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation
days, 13 holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and
retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their
dependents at any of the University System of Maryland
Posting Detail Information
Special Instructions to Applicant
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor's degree?
- Do you have a Master's Degree in Rehabilitation Counseling,
Counseling, Special Education or related field?
- * Do you have a minimum of two (2) years of professional work
experience with individuals with disabilities in an educational or
service support setting?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application