- TITLE: State Specialist in Child and Family
DEPARTMENT: Cooperative Extension Department
REPORTS TO: Family and Consumer Sciences Program
EFFECTIVE DATE: Position will Remain Open until Filled
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-Time
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
Internal Candidates are Encouraged to Apply
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB: The State Specialist in Child and
Family Relations at the Kentucky State University Cooperative
Extension Program (CEP), and College of Agriculture, Communities,
and the Sciences (CACS) will provide leadership under the direction
of the Family Consumer Sciences (FCS) Program Leader for
developing, and implementing, statewide Child and Family Relations
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY: The State Specialist in Child and
Family Relations is a member of the FCS team and will work directly
with county based agents and staff. This position will provide
educational programs at the state level in collaboration with the
FCS Program Leader. The successful candidate is expected to: 1)
develop nationally recognized Extension programs related to family
and consumer sciences, specifically Child and Family Relations 2)
develop factsheets, peer reviewed journal articles, and
informational sheets; 3) successfully write grants for external
funding to support Extension efforts and FCS programming; 4)
demonstrate a commitment to working with minority and limited
resource populations to solve problems; 5) design specific
educational materials for hard to reach minority and underserved
populations; 6) work with stakeholders and community organizations;
7) contribute to the multi-functional, land-grant mission of the
CACS through outreach, and engagement efforts with community
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Program development and/or delivery related to family and
consumer sciences, specifically in child and family relations.
- Using various technology platforms for the creation and
dissemination of educational webinars, on-line classes, and
educational video productions.
- Develop educational programs related to child development,
intergenerational relationships, multicultural families,
adolescents and emerging adults, caregiving, aging and parenting
- Develop grants for external funding to support Extension
efforts and FCS programming.
- Development of extension publications (factsheets,
informational sheets etc.) and other materials to support FCS
- Coordinate, plan, conduct, and evaluate in-service trainings
for county Extension professionals, in cooperation with leadership
teams and specialists.
- Develop and make presentations for agent training and workshops
related to family and consumer sciences, specifically
personal/family resource management to stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt well to changing priorities,
situations and day-to-day demands.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to effectively work with
- Must possess writing, communication and organizational
- Commitment to continue personal professional development.
- Evidence of ability to build and maintain relationships and
work effectively with clientele, advisory groups, and other
- Share research-based results with stakeholders through
Extension programs, journal articles, and fact sheets.
- Demonstrated competency and effective use of computing and
computer-based communications technology.
- Demonstrated leadership ability in designing, promoting,
presenting and evaluating educational programs and the desire to
program to reach diverse audiences.
The position will conduct other duties as
Ph.D. in Child and Family Studies, Human
Development, Family and Consumer Sciences, or similar degree
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Extension program development process, evaluation,
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively
with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Understanding of the Cooperative Extension Strategic Plan and
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
KENTUCKY STATE UNIVERSITY is an Equal Opportunity
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical
requirements listed in this job description represent the essential
duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform
either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions
listed do not necessarily include all activities that the
individual may perform. The College of Agriculture,
Community, and the Sciences strives for inclusive excellence and is
interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to this
effort through their research, teaching, and/or Extension
- Requires some standing or walking.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- Extensive travel required.