Assistant Director of Leadership Giving
- Northeastern University
- Massachusetts, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 7, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Professional Fields, Law & Legal Studies
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Assistant Director of Leadership Giving & NUSL Annual Fund
About the Opportunity
Exceptional opportunity to join an enthusiastic and accomplished Development and Alumni Relations team at Northeastern University School of Law (NUSL) - the premier public interest law school in the U.S. with a strong commitment to social justice. NUSL has experienced tremendous fundraising growth in recent years and set new records in 2021 and again in 2022. Last fiscal year we crossed the $5M mark for the first time, raising $5.4M and broke the $4.8M record set the previous year. Our strong annual giving program has also seen strong momentum. In 2022, we broke the 2021 annual giving record, raising $1.18M, which was $200,000+ more than the previous year.
Our graduates have pursued high-level and notable social justice focused careers and many have gone on to lead national law firms or Fortune 500 companies as managing partners or C-suite Executives. They have taken lead roles at important community organizations, such as Greater Boston Legal Services. In addition, we currently have Senator Maggie Hassan representing New Hampshire in the US Senate, the US Attorney for Massachusetts, Rachael Rollins and the President of the Massachusetts Senate (Karen Spilka) as well as the top prosecutor for RI, MA and NH -Kyana Givens, as well as the leading gubernatorial candidate in Massachusetts. We have had numerous current Presidential appointees, federal judges and leaders in providing legal representation to those who might not otherwise afford it. Our graduate and MacArthur Fellow, Mary Bonauto, is one of the leading LGBTQ activists of our time. NUSL graduates are leading the way in fields such as immigration, reproductive rights, intellectual property, corporate litigation, health law, energy law, and many other fields. The list of notable and noteworthy graduates is robust.
Northeastern seeks a proactive, creative, and entrepreneurial Assistant Director of Leadership Giving & Annual Fund (ADLG) who can advance annual fund, leadership giving, and reunion programs at the Northeastern University School of Law, with a particular emphasis on gifts in the $1,000 - $50,000 range. Reporting to the Director of Development and Alumni/ae Relations, the ADLG is responsible for managing all aspects of NUSL's Annual Fund and Leadership Giving programs, including print and email communications and solicitations, running reports to track activity and outcomes, stewardship letters, Giving Day initiatives as well as the development and management of a leadership giving society. Responsibilities also include recruiting, managing and building relationships with Reunion Committees and key volunteers associated with annual and leadership giving at the School of Law. This position has metric-driven frontline fundraiser responsibilities focused on gifts in the $1,000-$50,000+ level from NUSL graduates, including outreach to leadership level LYBUNTs and SYSUNTs, securing new leadership donors, and managing a portfolio of 100-120 leadership giving donors and prospects.
The ADLG will be expected to travel, including occasional nights and weekends, for the Northeastern University School of Law in support of its programs and priorities.
Primary responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Develop, manage and drive strategies to increase giving at NUSL, both in gift size and participation rate, through the Annual Fund and Leadership Giving Programs.
- Create and manage a Leadership Giving Society and coordinate with the Dean's Office regarding marketing efforts, direct mail and email communications, events, and the writing/creation of acknowledgements to donors on behalf of the Dean.
- Recruit, manage and build relationships with volunteers, with a particular emphasis on Reunion and other initiatives tied to increasing annual and leadership giving.
- Build and manage a portfolio of 100-120 leadership giving donors and prospects. This portfolio will be comprised of prospects at the leadership gift level ($1,000-$50,000) who exhibit considerable promise for evolving to major gift capacity over time.
- Create and drive the execution of detailed strategic plans for the cultivation and solicitation of prospects, conducting 120 face to face prospect meetings per year and work closely with the Director of Development to maximize solicitation potential for prospects in portfolio as well as leadership giving LYBUNTs and SYBUNTs.
- Acquire and articulate an understanding of NUSL, including its priorities, programs and faculty. Collaborate with University Advancement colleagues as necessary in an effort to meet fundraising goals.
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible position.
- Develop and manage the annual fund and leadership giving programs at NUSL, the communications calendars as well as all print and email communications and the leadership giving society, marketing efforts, and stewardship materials that emanate from the Dean's office. Work closely with the DoD to disseminate the Dean's message and coordinate his/her stewardship efforts in regards leadership giving.
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward with a pool of 100-120 leadership gift prospects. Collaborate with the DoD of NUSL to develop comprehensive solicitation strategies that meet the needs of the Law School, its programs and priorities. portfolio. Travel as needed to meet with 100+ NUSL graduates annually in order to qualify new prospects and build relationships with existing prospects and donors. Actively solicit alumni/ae at $1K to $50K+ gift level. Achieve a high level of engagement and financial support from these constituents.
- Recruit, manage and build relationships with volunteers, with a particular emphasis on Reunion Committees and volunteers associated with other aspects of NUSL's annual and leadership giving programs.
- Utilize Advancement data management system (Salesforce) to log activity, create call reports, track annual and leadership giving progress, and maintain data integrity of prospects.
The ideal candidate will have 2-4 years of formal development experience, preferably in higher education; however, those with a similar record of professional service and who exhibit the knowledge of and skills for professional development work will receive careful consideration. Knowledge and skills required for this position are normally obtained through a bachelor's degree (graduate or professional degree preferred). In addition, the successful candidate should be highly collaborative in approach, demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills, and interpersonal skills necessary for building relationships with various university constituents, both internal and external.
Documents to Submit:
Please provide your resume, cover letter, and list of references in one PDF submission.
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit www.northeastern.edu/benefits for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Boston-MA-Main-Campus/to-Assistant-Director-of-Leadership-Giving---NUSL-Annual-Fund_R109257
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert