Cybersecurity Institute and Technology Incubator Director
- Fort Hays State University
- Kansas, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 7, 2022
Job Posting Title
Cybersecurity Institute and Technology Incubator Director
This director position will be the initial hire for the newly forming Cybersecurity Institute and Technology Incubator (CITI) in the Department of Informatics at Fort Hays State University. CITI will offer student-led cybersecurity improvements and solutions small and medium businesses in Kansas through micro internships and experiential learning experience. Additionally, tech and security ventures can apply for residency in the incubator area of CITI to benefit from hands-on coaching, expertise, and strategy development to launch a viable venture.
The CITI Director will lead development of processes and the operational infrastructure for CITI. The CITI Director will work closely with campus, regional, and state economic development initiatives to cultivate a network for business referrals and new venture applicants.
- Be a leader, visionary and entrepreneurial thinker.
- Provide valuable and timely information to the Chair of Informatics and President of FHSU as to the conditions, projections, and operations of CITI, including successes, needs, and opportunities.
- Produce and present incubator reports as requested.
- Lead the recruitment and acquisition of resident ventures for the incubator, network with businesses, strategic partners, resources, venture funding, and complementary events.
- Build strong relationships with local and national economic development organizations, business incubator programs, and start-up community thought leaders to learn, develop and share best practices.
- Maintain effective relationships with community resources that will allow for successful transition of graduating tenant businesses from the incubator into our local community and region.
- Present successes, needs, and opportunities to community organizations, local school districts, alumni, potential donors and other external entities.
- Shape and direct a staff of mentors, directors and operational personnel.
- Establishing CITI advisory council
- Guide development of CITI organizational structure through collaboration with faculty for student micro-internship placement and policies. Develop incubator venture development application criteria, processes, and venture incubation processes.
- Develop position descriptions for remaining CITI staff positions to be hired.
- Work to implement support systems, hire the operations team.
- Develop and refine the CITI mission and key performance indicators.
- Work with marketing and strategic communications groups on campus to develop media pieces, website, blogs, and video in an effort to build CITI’s brand and public awareness.
- Directs CITI’s data strategy, collection, and use to elevate the visibility of CITI and demonstrate overall impact of operations.
- Develop annual budget.
- Continue to implement CITI operations and development on appropriate timeline.
- Screen and recruit for incubator venture applicants.
- Compile narrative, fiscal and programmatic information concerning Incubator Programs operations as required by funding agencies and collaborative activities
- Degree in business administration, workforce education or related field.
- Five years combined experience in small business development consulting, entrepreneurship education, business ownership/management and/or enterprise development required
- An understanding of the role of cybersecurity in the economies.
- Demonstrated experience of developing networks, ecosystems, and partners to support new initiatives
- In-depth understanding of the pathways and strategies to start and build a tech startup that might include commercializing new technology
- Proven ability to develop networks by building rapport and trust
- Customer service oriented.
- Self-starter with sound judgement who is passionate about learning, and possesses energy and enthusiasm to build a venture that builds ventures.
- Proven experience developing, writing, and editing business plans required.
- Proven strong writing and presentation skills required.
- May include evening and weekend work and meetings as required.
- Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) or workforce education or related field.
- Demonstrated success in securing funding from granting agencies
- Experience as senior manager or in a leadership role in technology incubation environment or innovation center.
- Ten years of combined experience in small business development consulting, entrepreneurship education, business ownership/management and/or enterprise development required
- Cybersecurity experience
- Experience related to business incubation programs, technology entrepreneurship, and/or business facilities management.
Benefits: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
Priority Deadline: January 5, 2023
Application Procedure: To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.edu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CAREERS. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
Required Application Documents: Applicants submit a cover letter, resume and names and contact information for three (3) professional references. All applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Melissa Hunsicker-Walburn, Informatics Department Chair / Associate Professor / Attorney
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately 20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking, running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming, low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert