Assistant Dean of Luter School of Business (LSB) Academic Administration
- Christopher Newport University
- Newport News, Virginia
- Posted Date
- Dec 7, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Academic Administration
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Chief Objective of Position:
The Assistant Dean of Luter School of Business (LSB) Academic Administration reports to the Dean of the Luter School of Business. This position will assist in the general administration of all academic aspects of the Luter School of Business. The Assistant Dean will be responsible for admissions to the business school, program assessment for AACSB accreditation, AACSB surveys and management of the business scholarship application process. In cooperation with the Chair, he/she will oversee department programs and processes; enrollment management, advising and registration issues; course schedules; annual reports; catalog and other Luter promotional materials.
Serves as AACSB Coordinator-
- Liaison point with AACSB and manages AACSB survey instruments for Luter
- Responsible for Curriculum Management and Assessment with respect to AACSB requirements
- Coordinates assessment Spring Review meeting
- Maintains records required by AACSB and SACS
- Leads the AACSB 5-year Continuous Improvement Review team
- Responsible for Admissions to the Luter School of Business
- Promotion of Luter and its admission requirements to potential students
- Completion of the application and review process with help from the Chairs and faculty
- Assigns faculty advisers as students are accepted into Luter based on chosen major(s)
- Orientation/Welcome event for newly admitted Luter students (fall and spring)
- Manage application process for Business Scholarships
- Serve as an ex officio member of the Luter Curriculum Committee and assist in the timely completion of all actions and approvals
- Oversees advising program and process, in consultation with the Chair
- Trains Luter faculty on advising matters
- Manages, maintains and updates all Luter advising schedules and materials
- Assists Chair in evaluating degree certifications for Luter grads as requested by Registrar
- Oversees and assists Chair in/with:
- The preparation of Luter course schedules
- Registration issues – waitlists, overrides, substitutions
- Initial advising of transfer students
- Serves as the Luter Liason for the VCCS transfer initiatives
- A Serves as liaison to the CNU Core Advisors
- Advises pre-business students with extenuating circumstances
- Works directly with the Dean to develop and execute plans with the department chair, faculty and staff to achieve constant improvement in the academic experience of undergraduate students pursuing majors and minors in the Luter School of Business, and works collaboratively with other colleges and departments to facilitate permissions and registration for outside majors.
- Conducts bi-annual surveys to current students to assess their experience with advising
- Decisions on transfer credit for Luter courses
- Electronic waitlist for Luter during registration
- Maintains Luter statistics and relevant historical data
- Administers the annual Senior Exit Survey for graduating seniors Evaluates and approves candidates for induction into the Business Honor Society, Beta Gamma Sigma Serves as ex-officio on the Luter Board of Advisors. Assists the Dean with the preparation of reports, speakers, and presentation materials. Works cooperatively as a member of the Dean’s Leadership team on initiatives associated with excellence in diversity, program branding and accreditation, marketing/communications, and faculty and alumni relations.
- Plans and organizes Open House for freshman during Getting Started week
- Manages the preparation/updates of Luter undergraduate catalog materials in cooperation with the chair
- Assures the development and updating Luter publications (brochures, handbooks, etc.)
- Oversees development and maintenance of LSoB website
- Oversees Luter faculty representation at university and community functions (admission open houses, honors receptions, etc.)
- Responsible for the data collection and submission for external business surveys such as Poets & Quants, US News & World Report
- Serves as liaison to the Study Abroad team in hosting student exchanges and review of curriculum for transfer credit
- Serves as the first point of contact for the exchange partnerships
- Oversees the recruitment and managed enrollment for the MFinA program
- Oversees the outreach and professional development programs for students
- Completes an annual report of Luter activities, based on the chairs departmental annual report
- Approves purchases and reconciliation of purchase cards for the Dean’s Executive Administrative Assistant and Administrative Assistant
- Demonstrates commitment to the principles and aims of a public liberal arts and sciences university.
- Embraces the University’s aspiration to become a preeminent public liberal arts and sciences university and be able to work collegially and in concert with the President, the Provost, other members of the administrative staff, and the Faculty in exercising exceptional leadership to fulfill the University’s commitments.
- Develops and maintains very positive and professional customer service and/or relations within the office/department and with all constituencies to include students, faculty, staff, guests, and employees. Demonstrates a positive and professional attitude and treats everyone with dignity and respect. Fully supports the “Student’s First” value at CNU and routinely goes the extra mile in providing service.
- Promote a safe and healthy work environment by ensuring the implementation of safety regulations and applicable standards, processes, and programs established for employees under your supervision.
- Ensure employees under your supervision are trained in safety standards and procedures for their positions.
- Report work-related incidents within 24 hours according to the procedures established by the university, state and federal guidelines.
- Serves as a “responsible employee” who is understood to have authority to respond to reports of sexual violence, and who has the duty to report incidents of sexual violence or misconduct.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean of the School of Business.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) required:
- Knowledge of college administration, knowledge of accreditation criteria, and effective communication, leadership and management skills are essential.
- The personal skills of the successful candidate should include a strong sense of optimism in the face of day-to-day challenges, objectivity and honesty, organizational habits that model work-place behavior, and ability to work collaboratively with others.
Masters Degree is required at time of start date.
Master in Higher Education, or equivalent, or PhD, at time of start date.
- Have either had teaching experience in higher education or have held an administrative management position in higher education administration.
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing strategic initiatives.
- Familiarity with academic roles, rules, procedures, faculty or student problems and viewpoints.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience with accreditation processes.
Teaching experience combined with significant administrative roles. Experience working with Higher Education computer programs such as: Banner, Blackboard, and PeopleSoft. Experience with data management and analyzing data. Experience in advising students and admissions to an academic program. Experience in approval process for new degree or certificate programs.
Selected by The Princeton Review to be included in The 388 Best Colleges: 2023 Edition, Christopher Newport University is a public school offering a private school experience – great teaching, small classes, and a safe, vibrant campus. The University is located in Newport News, Virginia, enrolls approximately 5,000 students, and is dedicated to the ideals of scholarship, leadership, and service. Academic programs at Christopher Newport University encompass more than 90 areas of study, from biology to business administration and political science to the performing arts. The University is ranked by U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges guide as 2nd among public regional universities in the South and 5th overall, and has recently completed more than $1 billion in capital construction on its 260-acre campus. Christopher Newport University is committed to ensuring that all people are welcomed, honored, and fully engaged in the life of our academic community. We recruit exceptional and diverse candidates and encourage applications from individuals who are underrepresented in their profession. For further details and information about Christopher Newport, visit www.cnu.edu.
Position Detail Information
Working Title: Assistant Dean of Luter School of Business (LSB) Academic Administration
Position Number: FA398
Appointment Type: Full Time
Sensitive Position: No
Sensitive Position Statement:
A sensitive position requires a fingerprint-based criminal history check. This is NOT a sensitive position.
Campus Security Authority: No
Campus Security Authority Statement:
This position is NOT designated as a Campus Security Authority. A Campus Security Authority (or CSA) is defined as an “official of the institution with significant responsibility for student and campus activities.” A CSA is required to immediately report any crime that is reported to them to the University Police who will then review, evaluate, and investigate the reported crime. Annual training is required by the Department of Education for all personnel who have been designated as a Campus Security Authority.
Designated Personnel: No
Designated Personnel Statement:
A “designated position” mean this position could potentially be required to work (depending on the event) during an emergency closing.
Statement of Economic Interest: No
Statement of Economic Interest Statement:
This position does NOT require a Statement of Personal Economic Interest.
Restricted Position: No
Restricted Position Statement:
A restricted position would be subject to availability of funding. This is NOT a restricted position.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number: AP269P
Number of Vacancies: 1
Posting Date: 12/07/2022
Application Deadline: 01/02/2023
Interested parties are requested to submit a cover letter; current resume; and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references at the time of application.
Review of applications will begin at 11:59PM EST on Monday January 2, 2023.
Applications received after 11:59PM EST on Monday January 2, 2023, will be accepted but considered only if needed.
Search finalists are required to complete a CNU sponsored background check.
Christopher Newport University (CNU) will make a reasonable effort to accommodate persons with disabilities in the application and/or interview process. Persons with disabilities who require accommodation should contact the CNU Human Resources Office by calling (757) 594-7145.
Quick Link to Posting: https://jobs.cnu.edu/postings/14968
Christopher Newport University, an EO Employer, is fully Committed to Access and Opportunity.
Notice of Non-Discrimination & Title IX Policy Statement:
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert