Vice President of Finance & Administration
Full Time/Part Time
New Mexico Highlands University ( NMHU ) is an Hispanic Serving
Institution and an aspiring Native American Non-Tribal Serving
Institution located in the beautiful Rocky Mountains of Northern
New Mexico. We seek a visionary leader for the position of Vice
President of Finance and Administration ( VPFA ). The VPFA serves
as the chief financial and administrative officer for the
university and reports directly to the President.
NMHU has served its students, staff, faculty, and surrounding
community for 130 years and currently has an enrollment of nearly
2,700 students. It’s located in Las Vegas, New Mexico, a one-hour
drive from Santa Fe (State Capital). Las Vegas is an historic city
of 13,000 residents and boasts more than 900 buildings on the
National Register of Historic Places. The city boarders the 1.5
million-acre Santa Fe National Forest and provides opportunities
for camping, fishing, hiking, skiing, shopping, and dining.
Situated at an elevation of 6,800 feet, Las Vegas averages 275 days
of sunshine a year.
The VPFA ensures the integrity, accountability, and continuous
improvement of all financial and administrative programs and
services, builds and maintains relationships with the culturally
diverse communities of New Mexico, promotes the university’s
mission, and seeks success and satisfaction for its faculty, staff,
and students. The position is located in Las Vegas, New
The incoming VPFA shall promote diversity, understanding of and
respect for all peoples and cultures. The remaining duties and
responsibilities are organized into four major thematic areas
1) Represent the University and Act as Chief Financial Advisor
to the President
2) Lead the Finance and Accounting Area
3) Administration and Management
4) Leadership, Collaboration, Strategic Planning, and Academic
Duties and Responsibilities
Represent the University and Act as Chief Financial Advisor to
· Work with the President to ensure that university resources are
aligned effectively with the mission and strategic plan of the
· Participates with the President and other senior managers in
institutional planning, policy development, and problem
· Represent the university externally to governmental agencies,
prospective funding agencies and individuals, prospective vendors,
and a range of constituencies nationally, statewide, and in the
university community at large.
· Coordinate special projects on behalf of the President.
· Serve as the lead senior financial advisor to the university, and
provide financial and management advice to the President, senior
management, and the Board of Regents on a broad range of financial,
operational, and strategic decisions and investments.
· Maintain excellent communication with both internal and external
constituents, and maintain all professional relationships with the
highest level of integrity.
· Report regularly to the Board of Regents on NMHU’s
Lead the Finance and Accounting Area
· Be responsible for managing an operating university budget
totaling over $100M in unrestricted and restricted funds.
· Lead and develop effective approaches to financial planning and
projections, analysis, and reporting for the university.
· Manage annual budgets for the university, and perform periodic
cost and productivity analyses.
· Review and analyze major contractual obligations of the
university to ensure consistency with overall financial goals,
objectives, and plans, and compliance with university financial
policies, procedures, and standards.
· Develop integrated business strategies for the university’s
revenue-generating auxiliary enterprises to ensure their ongoing
fiscal stability and consistency with the overall institutional
mission and strategic plan.
· Implement up-to-date procedures, processes, and disciplines
fundamental to maintaining a solid and reliable financial control
· Ensure NMHU maintains balanced budgets and high credit
· Be responsible for the quality, accuracy, and timeliness of
financial information provided to internal and external parties
including NMHU’s banks and external auditors to ensure compliance
with laws and regulations of various regulatory bodies.
· Manage enterprise resource management systems (ERP’s) related to
finance and administration with an emphasis on the effective use of
these systems to generate useful and understandable information
that facilitate financial and institutional decision making based
Administration and Management
· Oversee the proper maintenance of existing campus facilities and
grounds, the construction of new facilities, and the overall
enhancement of the campus.
· Be responsible for providing leadership and management of the
comptroller’s office, information technology services, facilities,
human resources, public safety, purchasing, financial planning and
reporting, budgeting, auxiliary services, central receiving,
internal control, and risk management.
· Collaborate to establish and implement short and long-range
university goals, objectives, unit strategic plans, policies, and
procedures for each operating unit under VPFA purview.
· Monitor and evaluate unit operations and establish performance
benchmarks and measurement systems, and effect changes required for
improvement where needed.
· Oversee and direct the development and maintenance of a
comprehensive facilities Master Plan, incorporating all
institutional facilities and real estate assets; ensure that the
Master Plan remains responsive to institutional goals and
· Oversees recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation of
staff for finance and administration.
Leadership, Collaboration, Strategic Planning, and Academic
· Regularly report out to and engage campus constituent groups on
issues related to finance, operations, and strategic
· Provide open and transparent communication and effective counsel
about the university’s financial position and strategy.
· Take a leadership role in developing the financial strategy to
support the growth of the university while continuing to drive
· Promote the financial well-being of the university, as well as
the accessibility, value, and affordability for students.
· Create shared ownership of university fiduciary responsibilities
and budget management by exercising shared executive control over
the university budget.
· Lead the implementation of the strategic financial planning for
the annual budget and multi-year forecasts by facilitating the use
of key performance indicators and institution-wide financial
analysis to inform decision making.
· Exemplify and promote professional ethics, cooperation,
collaboration, and effective relations and communications across
all campus constituencies.
· Provide team leadership to continue to build and maintain a “best
practices” finance and administration department, and develop a
strong team that also has strong relationships at all levels across
· Lead the university-wide annual budget process, resource
allocation, and alignment of resources with key priorities.
· Work with the campus community to develop budget plans to expand
revenues, contain costs, and create a sustainable financial model
for the university.
· Act as an ex-officio member of the Faculty Senate’s Financial
Minimum Job Requirements
· Master’s degree in accounting, business administration, or other
related field of study.
· Five (5) years of progressively responsible financial leadership
experience with at least three (3) years in a senior level
BACKGROUND and CREDIT :
· The incoming VPFA candidate will be required to successfully pass
criminal background and credit checks.
· The Vice President for Finance and Administration is expected to
live in the Las Vegas area and may be contacted at all hours
regarding campus emergencies.
· Must possess and maintain a valid New Mexico drivers’ license.
Selection of an out of state candidate will require obtaining a New
Mexico Driver’s license within sixty (60) days of employment.
Though the incoming candidate will not be expected to have all of
the preferred qualifications, possessing any of the following
qualifications is advantageous:
· A doctoral degree in a business-related field.
· Licensure as a CPA .
· Seven (7) years of progressive experience in financial and
· Experience in the higher education sector.
· Successful advancement of diversity, equity, and inclusion
policies or practices in prior institutions.
· Involvement with Minority Serving Institutions, especially
Hispanic Serving Institutions.
· Knowledge of Ellucian Banner.
Special Conditions for Eligibility
New Mexico Highlands University has implemented a mandatory COVID
-19 vaccine requirement for NMHU students and employees. For
detailed information, visit Coronavirus
( COVID -19) information – New Mexico Highlands University
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Commensurate with Education and Experience
Work Location/Campus Center
Las Vegas, NM Campus
New Mexico Highlands University is an affirmative action, equal
opportunity employer, making decisions without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected
class. We are committed to the University values of diversity,
accessibility, excellence, and responsiveness.
For disabled access or services call 505-454-3242 or email
Visit the link below for more information regarding affirmative
action and equal opportunity:
Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS :
· Cover Letter: In addition to addressing the duties and
responsibilities described, a successful cover letter will also
address the general approach and philosophy regarding the VPFA role
and a discussion of advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion
describing any related experience.
· Curriculum Vitae/Résumé.
· Unofficial transcripts conferring required degree.
· List of 4 references.
Candidates who are invited for on-campus interviews will be
required to submit official transcripts. References will be
contacted in conjunction with on-campus interview. Upload required
materials with online application. For disabled access or services
call (505) 454-3242 or contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. NMHU
IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER .
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter/ Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcripts Conferring Required Degree
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Philosophy
- Letter(s) of Recommendation