Assistant Director- CSL, Asian American Center
- Northeastern University
- Massachusetts, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 6, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Student Affairs, Student Activities & Services
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Assistant Director- CSL, Asian American Center
About the Opportunity
The Cultural and Spiritual Life Centers (CSL) of Northeastern University are dedicated to the support, celebration, and advancement of cultural identity and affinity. Programs center on Northeastern's rich communal traditions and intersectional identities, advance cultural/interfaith literacy and dialogue/community-building skills, foster intellectual/personal/spiritual/vocational growth, build bridges with local, national, and global cultural, religious/spiritual/humanist, and social justice communities, promote wellness and wholeness through practices of self-care, advance civic engagement, social action, and global citizenship as learners work to build a more just, peaceful, and sustainable world.
The Assistant Director is a member of a dynamic team of professionals focused on developing an intentional and student-centered space for the exploration of identity on campus. The Assistant Director implements, evaluates, and develops dynamic experiential programs promoting a deeper sense of belonging and advancing the University's ambitious diversity/equity/inclusion plan and works with both domestic and international students to promote deeper dialogue and relationships among them.
With a focus on short-term objectives, The Assistant Director actively participates in the successful implementation and development of departmental and interdepartmental operations that align the Cultural and Spiritual Life's mission with the strategic planning efforts of the Office of the Chancellor and University partners.
Must be student-centered. Will drive student participation in programming and facilitate student development and retention.
This position involves significant involvement in evening and weekend programs and events.
- Bachelor's degree required in higher education or a discipline related to the work of Cultural and Spiritual Life. Master's degree preferred. Minimum of three years of administrative and/or college academic experience.
- Deep awareness of issues and concerns related to the social, cultural, and religious/spiritual experience of young adults, meaningful experience working with historically underrepresented/marginalized populations, and skills in developing learning experiences for around culture, justice, diversity, equity, inclusion, global citizenship, and/or leadership development.
- Comprehensive knowledge of program administration, evaluation, and development for student-focused programs and events.
- Strong cross-cultural communication skills with deep awareness of issues and concerns relevant to cultural affinity group(s).
- Demonstrated effectiveness working with students and colleagues in an experiential education program (service-learning, undergraduate research, or other) as an educator, advisor, and leader.
- Experience developing strong reciprocal community partnerships.
- Demonstrated leadership effectiveness
- Ability to collaborate and work in a team setting with diverse populations.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills as well as strong time management and organizational skills.
- Fluency with Microsoft Office, Zoom and familiarity with Google Docs.
- Proficiency with web design, electronic means of communication, and social media platforms.
Duties may include operations, events management, marketing, and outreach, and supervision of employees. The Assistant Director oversees program assessment and evaluations, assists in writing curriculum, manages daily operations of the physical space, and ultimately ensures events happen as planned.
The Assistant Director- CSL, Asian American Center will:
- Work directly with Asian American Heritage Week, programs associated with student organizations on campus, and the Asian American Center's community engagement and service opportunities.
- Oversee the Asian American Center's marketing and social media activities.
- Work very closely with the Director to develop a comprehensive infrastructure that effectively supports the growth and advancement of the Asian American Center.
- Assist the Director in overseeing the successful implementation of departmental operations, aligning the mission of the Asian American Center with the strategic planning efforts of Enrollment Management & Student Affairs and the agenda and initiatives shared by areas within Cultural, Residential, and Spiritual Life.
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Boston-MA-Main-Campus/Assistant-Director--CSL--Asian-American-Center_R111065
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert