About the Opportunity
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and
level of work being performed by people assigned to this
classification. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive
list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of
personnel so classified.
The Applications Developer will facilitate the development of
interactive cognitive assessments that are primarily targeted
toward understanding cognition in older adults. Performs all
aspects of the implementation of research-related cognitive
assessments from design and development to maintenance and support.
utilizing an understanding of game development, design, development
using C#, familiarity with Unity 3D, database and network
programming. Collaborate with programming teams, apply software
organization skills and use effective communication skills to
contribute in a multi-disciplinary environment.
Applies skills as a seasoned, experienced software professional
with a full understanding of industry practices, community
standards and relevant policies and procedures to medium-sized
projects or portions of large projects with moderate scope and
complexity. Resolves a wide range of issues. Demonstrates
competency in selecting tools, methods and techniques to obtain
- Knowledge and skills required for this position are normally
obtained through a Bachelors' degree with minimum of five years'
related experience and advanced skills associated with software
design, modification, implementation, and deployment, including
object-oriented programming concepts.
- C# and/or C++ plus network programming experience required
- Experience with video game development required
- Software organization, management, version control experience
- Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills
with ability to communicate technical information to technical and
non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization and
contribute technical narrative to grant proposals.
- Demonstrated ability to understand functional needs and how
systems can support those needs as well as to develop conversion
and system implementation plans.
- Demonstrated software repository skills. Demonstrated testing
and test planning skills.
- Intermediate knowledge of secure software development.
- Thorough experience with common programming tools. Demonstrated
ability to follow software specifications. Thorough experience with
identification and use of code libraries and open-source
- Experience with planning for deployment and creation of
- Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team.
Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines. Demonstrated ability
to interface with management on a regular basis.
- Advanced skills associated with the design, development,
modification and deployment of software, including object-oriented
- Knowledge and skills related to graphics programming and visual
- Knowledge and skills related to sound design. Knowledge of
Psychology and Neuroscience. Knowledge and skills related to 3D
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
1) Plans, designs, develop, modify, debugs, deploys and evaluates
complex software for functional areas. Analyzes existing software
or works to formulate logic for new complex systems and devises
complex algorithms. Performs complex data analysis and tests/debugs
complex software. Analyzes the design and use of complex data
sources. Applies moderately complex programming security
2) Game Development for Brain Training Games. This includes project
management, programming, software management and distribution, team
leadership, coordinating with research activities, etc.
3) Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes recommendations for
approval of system and programming documentation. Recommends and
implements changes in development, maintenance and system
standards. Negotiates with stakeholders on the creation of software
specifications. Ensures project reports are made.
4) Negotiates, develops and executes moderately complex test plans.
Develops conversion and system implementation plans. Trains users
in conversion and implementation of system. Performs complex data
modeling, performance and integration testing and builds interfaces
for a variety of internal and external constituents. Monitors and
employs source code control techniques and configuration
5) Understands and applies industry practices, community standards
and department policies and procedures relating to work
assignments. Interacts with senior level internal personnel. May
serve as technical lead for a software development project of
moderate scope. Trains users in conversion and implementation of
systems. Negotiates project plans with stakeholders.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking
to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and
staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its
forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect
that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability
status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and
support of diversity and inclusion, please see
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Boston-MA-Main-Campus/Application-Developer_R111137