SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR, SENIOR
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Close/First Review Date:
The Systems Administrator, Senior reports to the Executive Director
of ITSS (Information Technology Support Services) at the District
Office. The work schedule is 12 months per year; Monday - Friday;
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
This position is represented by the California School Employees
Association (CSEA), Chapter 363.
Under general direction of an assigned administrator, performs
advanced senior technical duties as a professional staff member for
the installation, maintenance, security and administration
activities related to information systems, servers and database
functions within the ITSS Department; provides cross-functional
support and backup as assigned.
The Senior Systems Administrator is a senior level, non-managerial
professional, fully functional in all aspects of the assigned
field. Positions at this level serve as a senior technical resource
providing advanced technical support, systems analysis and
solutions to assigned functional area. The Senior Systems
Administrator works on moderately to highly complex projects for
ITSS requiring complex systems analysis and creative problem
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Perform information systems analysis, design and
2. Perform virtual and physical server installation, configuration,
maintenance, software updates, documentation and support.
3. Administer application installation, maintenance, software
updates, user account management, documentation and support.
4. Schedule and perform system maintenance to ensure high
availability of all components of the District's database
5. Monitor and maintain network and server performance, security
6. Support identity management infrastructure and
7. Participate in disaster recovery and business continuity
planning and implementation. Ensure redundancy and stability for
all critical systems and data protection, backup and recoverability
for all supported systems.
8. Use Information Security best practices to harden servers and
9. Communicate with ITSS staff and end users at both colleges;
provide information or communicate issues and concerns to senior
10. Work with other ITSS staff to maintain system and network
operations; research and implement new technologies as they pertain
to educational institutions.
11. Administer, maintain, and configure servers for VoIP
12. Coordinate with consultants and vendors on the installation,
configuration, and support of new servers and data tools.
13. Participate in the administration of Microsoft Exchange online
in Office 365 with a hybrid premise infrastructure.
14. Support student information system database and related
15. Provide secondary cross-functional backup for other technical
staff as assigned such as database administrator and basic network
16. Install and maintain hardware and software products and
17. Develop and maintain network interface of servers on the
18. Create and maintain software and hardware inventories.
19. Provide support to end users for escalated help desk
20. Assist management in evaluating new hardware and software
products and in designing new systems.
21. Perform other duties related to the position as assigned.
1. Physical and VMWare virtualized server environments.
2. Microsoft Exchange Online (Office 365) and Windows Server
3. Database concepts, design and processing techniques.
4. Principles of VoIP systems.
5. Enterprise level backup procedures software and
6. Hardware and software installation procedures.
7. Principles of host/server operating systems.
Skills and Ability to:
1. Perform advanced systems and database administration.
2. Apply the principles and concepts listed above.
3. Educate end users as needed to facilitate troubleshooting and
use of technology to perform their work.
4. Analyze and develop logical solutions to problems.
5. Communicate effectively and tactfully in both oral and written
6. Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working
relationships with others.
7. Install, maintain and administer operating systems and
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Bachelor’s degree with a major emphasis in computer science,
data systems or a related field.
2. Four years of experience installing and maintaining server
hardware and software, including direct combined experience with
maintenance and administration of Windows Servers in a virtualized
Licenses and Requirements:
1. Possession of a valid California driver’s license is
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
District’s Diversity Requirements
- Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge and understanding of the
diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender identity, sexual
orientation, cultural, disability, and ethnic background of groups
historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced
- Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major
duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in
the District’s hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent
transferable skills to do so.
$114,959 - $140,278 Annual Salary (Range 142: Classified Salary
Schedule Fiscal Year 2022-2023). Starting placement is generally at
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical,
dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance
for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection.
Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible
Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts.
Classified employees also receive vacation, 12 sick leave days and
19 paid holidays.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and
apply on line at the following link: https://sjeccd.peopleadmin.com/
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who
are passionate about providing our student population with the best
educational experience possible. The District recognizes that
cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic
excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding;
provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an
inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its
employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per
semester, and an extremely diverse student population
(Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific
Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian
11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and
Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District’s emphasis
on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as
colleagues to an existing diverse group of managers, supervisors
and confidential staff consisting of 29 % Hispanic/Latino, 13%
Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 23%
White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all
qualified, outstanding applicants.