SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR, SENIOR
- San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
- California, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 6, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Computer Services & Information Technology
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR, SENIOR
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Close/First Review Date: 12/18/2022
Campus Location: District Office
The Systems Administrator, Senior reports to the Executive Director of ITSS (Information Technology Support Services) at the District Office. The work schedule is 12 months per year; Monday - Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
This position is represented by the California School Employees Association (CSEA), Chapter 363.
Under general direction of an assigned administrator, performs advanced senior technical duties as a professional staff member for the installation, maintenance, security and administration activities related to information systems, servers and database functions within the ITSS Department; provides cross-functional support and backup as assigned.
The Senior Systems Administrator is a senior level, non-managerial professional, fully functional in all aspects of the assigned field. Positions at this level serve as a senior technical resource providing advanced technical support, systems analysis and solutions to assigned functional area. The Senior Systems Administrator works on moderately to highly complex projects for ITSS requiring complex systems analysis and creative problem solving skills.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Perform information systems analysis, design and implementation.
2. Perform virtual and physical server installation, configuration, maintenance, software updates, documentation and support.
3. Administer application installation, maintenance, software updates, user account management, documentation and support.
4. Schedule and perform system maintenance to ensure high availability of all components of the District's database environment.
5. Monitor and maintain network and server performance, security and troubleshooting.
6. Support identity management infrastructure and troubleshooting.
7. Participate in disaster recovery and business continuity planning and implementation. Ensure redundancy and stability for all critical systems and data protection, backup and recoverability for all supported systems.
8. Use Information Security best practices to harden servers and network applications.
9. Communicate with ITSS staff and end users at both colleges; provide information or communicate issues and concerns to senior management
10. Work with other ITSS staff to maintain system and network operations; research and implement new technologies as they pertain to educational institutions.
11. Administer, maintain, and configure servers for VoIP telecommunications systems.
12. Coordinate with consultants and vendors on the installation, configuration, and support of new servers and data tools.
13. Participate in the administration of Microsoft Exchange online in Office 365 with a hybrid premise infrastructure.
14. Support student information system database and related systems.
15. Provide secondary cross-functional backup for other technical staff as assigned such as database administrator and basic network engineering tasks.
16. Install and maintain hardware and software products and operating systems.
17. Develop and maintain network interface of servers on the District network.
18. Create and maintain software and hardware inventories.
19. Provide support to end users for escalated help desk requests.
20. Assist management in evaluating new hardware and software products and in designing new systems.
21. Perform other duties related to the position as assigned.
1. Physical and VMWare virtualized server environments.
2. Microsoft Exchange Online (Office 365) and Windows Server Environments.
3. Database concepts, design and processing techniques.
4. Principles of VoIP systems.
5. Enterprise level backup procedures software and procedures.
6. Hardware and software installation procedures.
7. Principles of host/server operating systems.
Skills and Ability to:
1. Perform advanced systems and database administration.
2. Apply the principles and concepts listed above.
3. Educate end users as needed to facilitate troubleshooting and use of technology to perform their work.
4. Analyze and develop logical solutions to problems.
5. Communicate effectively and tactfully in both oral and written form.
6. Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
7. Install, maintain and administer operating systems and application servers.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Bachelor’s degree with a major emphasis in computer science, data systems or a related field.
2. Four years of experience installing and maintaining server hardware and software, including direct combined experience with maintenance and administration of Windows Servers in a virtualized server environment.
Licenses and Requirements:
1. Possession of a valid California driver’s license is required.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
District’s Diversity Requirements
- Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge and understanding of the
diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender identity, sexual
orientation, cultural, disability, and ethnic background of groups
historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced
- Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major
duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in
the District’s hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent
transferable skills to do so.
$114,959 - $140,278 Annual Salary (Range 142: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2022-2023). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, 12 sick leave days and 19 paid holidays.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://sjeccd.peopleadmin.com/
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District’s emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse group of managers, supervisors and confidential staff consisting of 29 % Hispanic/Latino, 13% Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 23% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert