Online application must include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a
list of three references with contact information, and transcripts
for all undergraduate and graduate degrees and degrees in progress.
Applications will be reviewed as received and the position will
remain open until filled.
Position Title: Chief Learning Innovation Officer
This position is an executive-level
leader that is broadly responsible for championing the development
and advancement of innovative learning initiatives and education
strategies across the university. Facilitates the analysis
planning, and design of innovative learning strategies across the
university, with particular emphasis on advancing the university’s
profile and presence online and in the Oklahoma City metropolitan
Collaborates with senior university leadership to facilitate
educational innovation processes and advance strategic growth
opportunities. Facilitate strategy development and innovation
processes to advance the capacity, growth, and position of the
institution, divisions, and/or departments. Lead the creation and
growth of strategic partnerships that elevate the capacity and
profile of the institution as a leader in educational
Department Specific Essential Job Functions:
The University of Central Oklahoma (UCO), in its 132nd year of
existence, seeks an outstanding leader for its award-winning and
innovative Connected Campus and LX Studio. UCO’s main campus is in
the community of Edmond and just north of Oklahoma City. The
Oklahoma City Metropolitan Area is experiencing a period of
unparalleled growth and development while UCO serves proudly as
Oklahoma City's Metropolitan University with several facilities in
downtown Oklahoma City. This includes the CHK/Central Boathouse,
the Academy of Contemporary Music, and two UCO Downtown teaching
facilities. Oklahoma City was chosen as one of only two cities in
the nation by the Brookings Institution to work with in developing
the Oklahoma City Innovation District and UCO is working to support
that development with teaching facilities near the district. The
UCO campus is very diverse with most of its student population from
the culturally and ethnically diverse Metropolitan Area and with
one in twenty students being international in origin. UCO is an
institutional member of the Council on Undergraduate Research and
hosted the National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR) in
the year 2018. UCO is a leading advocate for involving students in
experiential education through an active on-campus student grants
program in the Office of High-Impact Practices.
Through collaboration and innovation, the highly acclaimed LX
Studio at the University of Central Oklahoma specializes in helping
association executives, leaders, and subject matter experts to more
effectively meet the ever-changing learning needs of today’s
multi-generational association members. Offering a suite of
services that include learning strategy and design,
micro-credentials, a business incubator program, and content
strategy and development, the LX Studio team of learning experts
works to harness client data, understand their content, and
identify their opportunities and create an active strategy for
learning success, providing an exclusive suite of custom solutions
to effectively implement world-class learning experiences that
reimagine client’s strategy, content, delivery, and results.
UCO’s two convenient locations in downtown Oklahoma City advance
Central’s charge to serve the Oklahoma City metro through prepared
graduates and innovative programs and partnerships that contribute
to the area’s continued growth. The UCO at Santa Fe Plaza learning
center features classroom and laboratory space, extending the
university’s reach in the Oklahoma City metro and increasing access
for students working or living in downtown Oklahoma City. Serving
as home to UCO’s award-winning MBA program, among others, UCO at
Santa Fe Plaza also houses Central’s LX Studio Business
Incubator, UCO’s classical radio station ( KUCO-FM
), as well as meeting space
for the university and area businesses. Located in the heart of
downtown Oklahoma City’s business district, the UCO at Carnegie
Centre location makes for-credit and continuing education classes
easy to access day or night, focusing on offering classes for the
working professional, customized education offerings for businesses
designed exclusively for their employees, and making non-credit
course offerings available to the public.
The University of Central Oklahoma's Connected Campus offers
quality, accredited, nationally ranked, flexible and 100% online
degrees that broaden opportunities for everyone, ranging from
students right out of high school who want to earn their bachelor's
degree online to adults who want to finish what they started.
Offering flexibility and dedicated student support, UCO's Connected
Campus is nationally ranked as a top institution for online degree
programs in Newsweek's 2023 “America’s Top Online College” list for
the second consecutive year.
Provides oversight for the University’s award-winning Connected
Campus and LX Studio, as well as the UCO at Santa Fe Plaza and
Carnegie Centre locations, including providing leadership,
planning, coordination and management of all associated operations.
The Chief Learning Officer reports to the Provost and Vice
President for Academic Affairs.
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the
various types of work that may be performed. The omission of
specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the
position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment
to the position.
- Provides thought leadership to the university and broader
academic and metropolitan communities and partners on issues
related to educational innovation strategy and learning environment
design across diverse contexts (i.e. education, workplace,
- Leads strategic planning and design of emerging educational
innovations across the university ecosystem (i.e. online degree
programs and micro-credentials).
- Collaborates with senior university and college leadership to
design, launch, and scale innovative educational offerings that
proactively meet the needs of diverse stakeholders and
- Leads the strategic innovation and growth of UCO’s secondary
campus locations (Carnegie Centre, ACM@UCO, Santa Fe Plaza).
- Champions the growth of innovative educational programming and
offerings online and in the Oklahoma City metropolitan region.
- Advances UCO as a strategic education partner to business and
- Supervises personnel associated with related efforts.
- Provides strategic direction and leadership on emerging trends
and issues influencing learning innovations and develops
recommendations and scenarios for how the university might respond
or position itself appropriately.
- Advances the University of Central Oklahoma as an international
leader in learning innovation and learning environment design.
- Leads the development and advancement of LX Studio and related
personnel as part of a unified growth strategy.
- Leads the development and advancement of UCO Customized
Education and related personnel as part of a unified growth
- Teaches courses and workshops focused on learning and
innovation to internal and external audiences.
- Provides facilitation, consulting, and research services that
support the creation and diffusion of learning innovations.
- Convenes leaders from diverse communities through summits and
conferences focused on learning and innovation.
- Represents the university in professional communities.
- Leads and facilitates cross-functional teams and collaborative
initiatives aimed at creating, developing, and leveraging learning
innovations that emerge from within the university.
- Grows a collaborative and entrepreneurial network of people
focused on developing learning innovations for the purposes of
transfer and/or commercialization.
- Builds business models that support the long-range
sustainability and growth of innovative educational offerings.
- Serves as an agent of the university with business and the
community as related to the disciplines of the division and the
- Earned doctorate from an accredited institution.
- Five to seven years’ experience in learning design, innovation,
planning, and leadership.
- Extensive knowledge and compressive understanding of functional
- Appropriate professional accomplishments and credentials.
- Expert facilitation, innovation management, and collaboration
- Advanced knowledge and application of learning experience
design theories and practices.
- Advanced strategy and design visualization and facilitation
- Sound judgment and capabilities in leading complex,
- Applied knowledge of learning experience technologies.
- Strong interpersonal, relationship building and conflict
- Strong project and program management skills.
- Creative problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral, written, and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to determine priorities, be self-directed and work with
- Proficient in a variety of computer applications, including MS
Office Suite of programs.
- Strong budgetary skills.
- Strong leadership and team-oriented approach.
- Understands and continues to learn the skills necessary for
effective management and leadership.
Reasonable accommodations (in accordance
with ADA requirements) may be made, upon request, to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.