Antelope Valley College
Administrative Assistant, Counseling
Salary: $4,133.39 Monthly
Deadline: 9/8/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Complete job description and application available
online at: http://184.108.40.206/counter.php?id=206327
Implements directives of the Dean and performs a wide variety of
complex specialized secretarial and administrative functions in
support of the division; coordinates communication and office
activities assuring efficient office operations; performs a variety
of duties and responsibilities which are of a sensitive and
confidential nature; and performs other related responsibilities as
may be assigned.
• Organizes and manages the daily activities of
the division office to assure efficient and effective office
operation; coordinates communications and handles administrative
matters; develops and implements efficient and effective office
practices and procedures. (E)
• Performs a variety of duties independently in support of
functions delegated to the assigned administrator; interprets and
applies rules and regulations as appropriate. (E)
• Prepares correspondence independently or from oral
instructions; drafts, prepares, and edits a wide variety of
materials such as correspondence, reports, surveys, forms, charts,
and other documents; utilizes the computer to perform
advanced-level word processing functions including complex
formatting of documents, creating charts, developing spreadsheets
and using a variety of software; verifies data for accuracy,
completeness and compliance with established procedures; inputs and
retrieves computerized data. (E)
• Greets visitors, initiates and answers telephone calls,
screens and directs calls and visitors to appropriate personnel;
responds to requests for information from students, staff and the
general public regarding District programs, policies, procedures
and regulations; exercises discretion and confidentiality in
evaluating and/or resolving problems and complaints, including
security and safety issues. (E)
• Coordinates communication and activities with other District
departments and personnel, students, educational institutions,
vendors, other outside organizations and the public; obtains and
provides information regarding District personnel and the general
public regarding District programs, policies, procedures, and
• Develops schedules related to division activities and
services; assembles information, verifies accuracy and inputs or
oversees the input of information into the computer; processes data
according to established procedures and timelines; processes
division schedule changes, post notices accordingly. (E)
• Assists in budget preparations; maintains records of
expenditures and other financial records. (E)
• Organizes, establishes filing and record keeping systems;
maintains a variety of files, and records including those of a
sensitive and confidential nature. (E)
• Compiles information and data from a variety of sources for
reports and assist in the preparation of statistical and narrative
reports from a variety of sources; conducts research as required;
prepare, duplicates, and collates materials. (E)
• Schedules meetings and appointments for assigned
administrator; prepares agenda items for meetings; maintains
records, attends meetings and prepares minutes for distribution to
appropriate personnel. (E)
• Receives, opens and routes mail; orders, issues, and maintain
department supplies and forms; orders and disburses a variety of
materials to other departments; faculty, student and the
• Provides training and work direction to student assistants,
hourly personnel and others as assigned; participates as requested
in hiring personnel and provide input regarding performance
• Schedules classroom and facilities use; coordinates with
facilities and necessary personnel; initiates and assists at
special events and performs research and other special projects;
coordinates activities between the administrators and staff,
students, the public or other District or campus officials; obtains
and provides information, coordinates student and public activities
and resolves problems. (E)
• Completes and submits forms related to staff absences and/or
leaves and prepares payroll reports.
• Processes new hires and resignations including request for
phone extensions, network accounts, Banner access, email, keys,
general supplies, and assembles new hire packets for
• Acts a liaison between the Dean and the Inter Club Council,
their advisors, the Associated Student Association-student
government members and the Student Trustee.
• Provides appropriate interface between the community, business
representatives, students, faculty and the dean. (E)
• Maintains efficient tracking of all tasks and projects to
ensure timely completion of all tasks and projects essential to the
business of the division. (E)
• Prepares brochures and program flyers. (E)
• Takes and transcribes dictation and utilizes transcription
equipment; maintains confidentiality of sensitive information as
• Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
(E = indicates essential duties of the position)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school
including or supplemented by course work in business, secretarial
science or related field and three years increasingly responsible
• Operations, procedures and activities of a
division office. Microsoft Office Suite and other software and
• Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
• Financial and statistical record-keeping techniques.
• Receptionist and telephone techniques.
• Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and
• Oral and written communication skills. Interpersonal skills
using tact, patience and courtesy.
• District organization, operations, policies and objectives.
Operation of office machines including computer equipment and
• Perform responsible secretarial support duties for a dean.
• Provide information and communicate effectively with College
personnel, students and the public.
• Read, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations,
policies and procedures.
• Compose correspondence independently.
• Perform responsible clerical work rapidly and accurately.
• Type at 60 words net per minute.
• Take dictation transcribe accurately.
• Maintain records and prepare reports.
• Compile and organize data and prepare reports.
• Operate a variety of office equipment such as typewriter,
computer, printer, word processor, calculator and other equipment
• Learn and apply procedures, rules, regulations and terminology
concerning the assigned division.
• Work independently with little direction.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working
relationships with others.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Complete work with many interruptions.
• Work confidentially with discretion.
• Train and provide work direction to others.
For a complete listing and details of all open positions
and how to apply, select the HR & Employment link on the AVC
Web site at https://www.avc.edu/administration/hr/employment
or contact the Human Resources Office at (661) 722-6311;
Voice/Relay, (661) 722-6300 x. 6360, 3041 West Avenue K, Lancaster,