POSITION: FACULTY, HORTICULTURE
STATUS: Full-Time Tenure Track
DEPARTMENT: Agricultural, Horticultural, and Veterinary
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
REPORTS TO: Department Chair
PLACEMENT: Placement on the salary schedule is dependent on
MINIMUM PAY RATE:tQualifications include education and related work
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity,
gender, language, age, and background. Joliet Junior College is an
AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates
who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
Adapt to new and changing situations and demonstrate a positive
attitude. Demonstrate respect for students; understand learning
styles and apply understanding to institution-related activities;
demonstrate integrity and promote diversity and open
communications. Fifteen credit hours a semester constitute a
standard load. Most courses occur during traditional times;
however, course assignments may include late afternoon, evening,
Saturday, and at branch campuses or satellite centers. The position
is subject to all terms and provisions of the Joliet Junior College
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Teach courses in the Horticulture Program. These may include but
are not limited to: Introduction to horticulture, greenhouse
operation, greenhouse crop production, specialty crop production
(cut flower production, hydroponics, vegetable production, nursery
production), plant identification, plant propagation, and pest
2. Individual courses will be assigned by the Department Chair with
significant consideration to the interests and qualifications of
3. Assist with and/or sponsor departmental student organizations
4. Work closely with other instructors and special programs and
services within the college to determine placements, curriculum,
and academic support.
5. Participate in course development, assessment, accreditation,
and planning activities.
6. Be willing to teach online and/or hybrid courses.
7. Participate in appropriate departmental meetings and represent
the department on college committees.
8. Assist students with academic advising.
9. Attend and assist with various departmental recruitment
activities including high school visitation.
10. Work with Department to maintain horticulture land lab (HLL)
facilities and supervise HLL interns.
11. Maintain relationships with and participate in professional
organizations related to teaching areas.
12. Accompany students to professional events and
13. Demonstrate a strong commitment to teaching and learning.
14. Demonstrate strong understanding and commitment to the
community college mission.
15. Teach at other campus sites as needed.
16. Meet other contractual obligations as spelled out in the Joliet
Junior College faculty contract.
17. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective
working relationships with other members of the college and
community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional
18. Demonstrated commitment to the college’s core values of respect
and inclusion, sustainability, integrity, collaboration, humor and
well-being, innovation, and quality.
1. Bachelor of Science Degree in Horticulture, Plant Sciences or
2. Teaching and/or industry experience.
3. Expertise in appropriate technologies for instruction.
1. Master of Science Degree in Horticulture, Plant Sciences or
2. Practical Horticulture industry experience particularly in
greenhouse production and operation.
3. Strong plant knowledge.
4. Teaching experience at the community college level.
5. Experience with traditional and non-traditional students from
6. Experience in teaching using online and/or course management
7. English and Spanish verbal and written communication
8. Demonstrated multicultural competence.
Normal classroom physical demands. Normal laboratory physical
Classroom teaching environment. Laboratory teaching and outdoor
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.