Administrative Assistant- K (College Store)
Duration of Position:
Full year / Full time
Schedule varies: M-F 9:30am-6:00pm or
11:00am-7:30pm; Sat 10:30am-5:30pm. Some holidays & special
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly
selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar
is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the
values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment
of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a
pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar
College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and
applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members
of historically underrepresented groups are especially
encouraged.Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free
campus.Vassar College has a universal vaccination policy requiring
a COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster, for all employees
except for those exempt for medical or religious reasons.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Vassar College is seeking a retail associate (Administrative
Assistant) to work in our college owned and operated store. The
Administrative Assistant provides excellent customer service and
assists in the sales of general merchandise and textbooks. This
position assists customer with purchases, operates a cash and
credit card point of sale device, and is responsible for ensuring
merchandise is properly displayed. The Administrative Assistant
interacts regularly with students, faculty, staff and
- Operate a point of sale device efficiently ensuring that all
functions are performed in a timely and accurate manner. Transact
sales at the cash register including cash, credit card, P-card, and
- Properly receive and price merchandise within established
- Monitor inventory levels of various store products and stock
merchandise in an orderly and timely manner, enabling the
availability of products to customers.
- Greet and assist customers; respond to customer inquiries and
provide general information concerning store product information
- Receive merchandise and ship online orders.
- Maintain all operations in the textbook area related to
receiving, shelving, fulfilling textbook reservations, and
returning textbooks. Assist with pricing textbooks.
- Creates and manages purchase orders for the ordering and
returning of textbooks for each Semester.
- Develops and maintains inter departmental relationships.
- Timely processing and payment of all invoices and assures all
credits due are received and posted.
- Assist with the used textbook buyback program as needed.
- Reconciliation of daily sales, enters sales data from the Web
and physical store into spreadsheets for end of month balancing and
posting to general ledger through Journal entry.
- Maintain and enter daily drawer and cash counts.
- Maintain store environment in a clean and orderly condition;
assist in organizing displays in the store and merchandising
- Under general supervision, resolve most questions; accomplish
most tasks alone; keep the manager well informed of progress; some
interpretation of established work procedures is required.
- Adapt to improvements or changes in existing service, product
- Operate a variety of office equipment as needed.
- Assist in ordering, receiving, and maintaining inventory of
bookstore products. Assist in annual physical inventory.
- Accept and process special orders from customers.
- Supervise student employees for restocking of merchandise and
- Acts as Ambassador for Vassar College by providing college
information to the campus community and visitors.
- Ensure safety standards are maintained while performing daily
- Perform various additional related tasks as assigned by the
College Store Director.
This is a full-time, full-year, benefits eligible position.
Schedule varies: Monday-Friday 9:30am-6:00pm or 11:00am-7:30pm;
Saturday 10:30am-5:30pm. Some holidays & special events.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- A minimum of two to four years previous administrative support
experience and/or training.
- Retail experience including use of point of sale devices, and
book keeping and/or accounting support required.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with both Mac and
PC platform environments, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Google’s
suite of tools (gmail, calendar, drive, docs, etc.), Workday (or
comparable database systems), and a variety of email and internet
browsers. Must be open to learning new software as needed.
- Ability to greet people courteously and interact effectively
with a diverse community of students, faculty, employees and
- Demonstrated ability to: effectively manage deadlines and
multiple competing priorities while maintaining attention to detail
and exercising good judgment; exercise discretion and maintain
confidentiality; and maintain a professional problem solving
demeanor during sometimes stressful situations.
- Must have excellent customer service skills, perform work with
accuracy, and be able to work efficiently and effectively under
demanding conditions, such as special events and back-to-school
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for extended periods
of time. Ability to position self to clean, organize and stock
inventory. Ability to move, ascend/descend and traverse to complete
required tasks. Ability to move, position, place and transport
objects weighing up to and including 50 pounds.
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to
attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3
professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format.
Review of applications will begin immediately.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/2813