DATA CENTER SYSTEMS ENGINEER III
- University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley
- Texas, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 5, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Computer Services & Information Technology
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
DATA CENTER SYSTEMS ENGINEER III
Posting Number: SRGV6351
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Remote Location
Department: IT Infrastructure
Scope of Job:
Responsible for the engineering, integration, implementation, and operation of campus information technology infrastructure needed to meet the requirements for IT services used by students, faculty and staff. Performs work in the deployment and management of the hardware/software systems making up the IT infrastructure with server and storage systems supporting mission critical services.
Description of Duties:
• Responsible for all projects tasks, change tasks, incidents, problems and service requests for supporting systems and provides technical support as needed.
• Acts as project management technical lead while working with Technical Architect, Data Center Systems Engineer, System Database Administrators, Data Center Operations Specialist to support Data Center Services operations to meet the needs of our customers.
• Supports DevOps within daily operation of IT services for automation of process delivery and infrastructure changes.
• Configures, deploys, and manages server and storage hardware, operating systems, and other software to meet technical, security and integration requirements.
• Maintains all areas of responsibility current on field upgradeability features, security, version releases and patches applicable.
• Ensures Data Centers Systems Engineer staff are monitoring and managing systems while participating in 24×7 weekly Problem Solver rotation in response to received notification alerts.
• Manages systems and infrastructure, including Cloud based technology, to minimize malfunctions and optimize performances.
• Responsible for the administration of Security Information and Event Management infrastructure including Splunk.
• Programs, tests, and implements approved interfaces/integration solutions using efficient standard techniques.
• Evaluates, tests, and report the analysis of system software and hardware as solutions to replace older or less functional systems.
• Analyzes technical requirements to determine capacity, service, and availability requirements.
• Responsible for all configuration management that supports infrastructure hardware and software to satisfy performance, service levels, and availability requirements.
• Evaluates technology, determining feasibility and functionality of systems and services including integration requirements to support the needs of our customers.
• Performs domain management tasks such as Active Directory, LDAP, DNS, Radius, Identity Management and related services that support the campus mail system.
• Develops and implements Data Center Services standards of defined service levels and availability objectives including procedures for 24×7 problem detection for mission critical systems.
• Develops and executes Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity plans and procedures while meeting acceptable standards.
• Manages systems and database licenses, maintenance and support contracts.
• Maintains current knowledge of ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) to align IT services with business needs using best practices for IT Service Management (ITSM).
• Maintains knowledge of general NIST IT industry security best practices.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of assigned staff.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or a Computer related major from an accredited university.
Five (5) years of experience working with infrastructure, server, and storage technologies, or experience with hardware/software infrastructure engineering, implementation and integration.
Knowledge of installation and maintenance of operating systems, software and hardware such as Red Hat Linux OS, Windows Server OS; management of SANs (3PAR, EVA, Lefthand) and SAN Fiber Channel/iSCSI based switches, F5 load balancing, server clusters, active directory, DNS, LDAP, MS System Center, Exchange/Office365, Azure, Identity Management; Server Virtualization with VMware or MS Hyper-V; IIS, Apache, Tomcat; MS SQL Server, Oracle Server, MySQL, development using Advanced Systems Programming/Scripting with C, Visual Basic, Python, PHP, Powershell, Perl, .Net, Bash; application servers running Microsoft and Oracle technology based systems; HP and DELL server, virtual connect/flex fabric, blade enclosures; general networking knowledge with VLAN and WAN links across multi-site Data Centers; enterprise backup solutions.
Use of standard office equipment. Knowledge and experience with servers, storage systems, infrastructure, and related management devices.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Standard conditions associated with Data Center Services operations. Ability to work weekends and/or evenings as needed; occasional travel is required.
Ability to accurately follow established Standard Operating Procedures and follow staff instructions to avoid errors. Possess resourcefulness and creative thinking skills for problem resolution. Possess analytical skills to effectively and accurately identify problems.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 11/29/2022
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non-discrimination in its education programs and activities, including employment. We encourage women, minorities and differently abled persons to apply for employment positions of interest.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Dear Applicant, Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following: *Date of Birth *Gender *Ethnicity/Race Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956) 665-2451 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/36507 jeid-32d53f08c7ae874e848f256ae2343c42
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert