House Advisor (Resident Director Equivalent)
- Vassar College
- New York, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Dec 5, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Business & Management, Accounting & Finance
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
House Advisor (Resident Director Equivalent)
Department: House Advisors
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Employee Type: Administrator
Posting Date: 12/02/2022
Union Representation: Not Applicable
Posting Number: AS311P
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar stands upon the homelands of the Munsee Lenape.Vassar College is deeply committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion, and respect for difference. The College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and especially welcomes applications from veterans, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of racial, ethnic, and other historically underrepresented groups.Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.Note: Vassar College has a universal vaccination policy requiring a COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster, for all employees except for those exempt for medical or religious reasons.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The House Advisor (HA) is a 12-month live-in professional who is responsible for the overall administration of two houses of approximately 400 residents total during the academic year. HAs are responsible for working on college-wide and departmental endeavors and partnering with residential faculty members (House Fellows) in an effort to provide comprehensive support for students. House Advisors supervise a team of student staff (Student Fellows) and advise a larger group of residential student leaders (House Teams). House Advisors directly report to the Director of Residential Education.
The House Advisor apartment is within a residential house. The House Advisor is expected to be visible to students during non-scheduled hours. In this exempt position, the HA schedule is influenced by student, department, and community needs. Work outside of traditional 9-5 hours may include consultation with staff or students, attendance at campus events, staff and student training/development participation, and on call responsibilities. This includes occasionally driving locally to complete job responsibilities.
This position will serve as part of an administrative on call rotation every 5-6 weeks and will need to be available 24/7 during this time.
Responsibilities:Student Leader Mentorship and Advising
- Recruit, select, train, and evaluate selected student leadership team.
- Attend and advise weekly House Team and Student Fellow meetings.
- Conduct regularly scheduled one on one's with student leaders (President, Student Advisor, Student Fellows).
- Design and implement training sessions for student leader trainings.
- Serve as a Student Conduct Administrator, implementing processes in an educational manner.
- Interpret and uphold college regulations pertaining to student conduct occurring within the houses.
- Refer students to campus offices related to exhibited behaviors.
- Utilize Maxient software to create and track student conduct cases.
- Participate in departmental and area decision making and planning through weekly meetings.
- Work in collaboration with college-wide offices, particularly those in the Dean of the College area.
- Provide coverage for houses/campus during large-scale annual campus programs.
- Participate in opening and closing of houses.
- Work in collaboration with the Residential Operations Center and Facilities Operations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work collaboratively with House Fellows to create inclusive living communities that are socially conscious, responsible, and empowering.
- Establish a sense of community through house and campus wide programming.
- Serve as a resource and referral agent for students' holistic needs (social, emotional, academic, etc.).
- Work collaboratively with Safety & Security personnel to provide a safe and secure community.
- Engage with students individually and in groups to enhance growth and development.
- Serve as mediator for roommate and resident conflicts.
- Facilitators of the residential curriculum
- Serve as Administrator on Call on a rotating basis.
- Manage crisis situations such as mental health emergencies, facilities emergencies, wellness checks, including appropriate community responses.
- Act as a representative of Vassar's CARE Team, the Student Support Network, performing wellness checks, one-on-one support meetings, and resource referrals.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred, preferably in Student Affairs, Higher Education Administration, Counseling, Social Work or related field.
- One to two years of professional experience post baccalaureate degree in related field required (preferably in ResLife, Student Affairs, or Higher Education Administration). This includes graduate level paraprofessional experience.
- Prior student affairs experience and knowledge of identity development theories preferred.
- Must have the ability to act independently and to interact effectively with a diverse college community.
- Must maintain a professional and flexible problem-solving demeanor during sometimes stressful situations.
- Experience with crisis management and conflict resolution is preferred.
- Ability to move about the campus to complete job responsibilities. Must be able to move, position and place items and objects during move-in procedures and orientation events. This includes supplies for the program.
- Must possess, or willing to obtain, and maintain a valid driver’s license. Ability to travel within the local area.
- Successful result of a background check required.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/2977.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert