Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University’s Safety and Security Office
is looking for a qualified Shift Safety Officer to staff 24/7
operations at the Daytona Beach campus. Shift Safety Officers
provide general safety and security to the campus community by
conducting continual preventive patrols by vehicle, foot, and golf
cart providing lock and unlock services, investigating and
documenting incidents, enforcing rules & regulations, and
responding to emergency conditions.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Maintaining security and safety of campus personnel (students,
faculty, staff, contractors, etc.) and property by patrolling and
securing buildings, checking building security, safeguarding
property, monitoring access control, and responding to emergency
- Conducting investigations of incidents or conditions of safety
and security relevance. Completing thorough and accurate reports
and department paperwork in a timely manner.
- Enforcing rules, regulations, and policies on campus in a
professional, courteous manner.
- Providing services for campus personnel such as escorts,
special watches and information. Acting as campus liaison after
university business hours.
- Providing assistance at special events.
The Embry-Riddle safety and security department is a 24/7 operation
which must be staffed at minimum levels at all times. Unscheduled
overtime is required as needed or when special university details
occur. Shift Safety Officers may be required to work one or more of
the following 10-hour shifts with three days off per week:
A shift 06:00 - 16:00
B shift 13:00 - 23:00
C shift 21:00 - 07:00
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Prior law enforcement, military police, public safety or
emergency services experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities.
- Ability to write legibly, speak clearly, and manage multiple
and sometimes stressful tasks (involving radio, phone, and personal
communications) at the same time.
- A pre-employment drug screening is required and candidate is
subject to random drug screening during employment period.
Physical requirements for this position include the
- Associate's degree preferred.
Driving and Background Requirements:
- Ability to ascend several flights of stairs in a building
- Ability to walk quickly or run from one portion of campus to
- Must be able to walk or stand during the course of a shift when
- Must be able to sit, in confined space, for extended periods of
- Much of the Shift Safety Officer’s time will be spent outdoors
monitoring campus safety and thus will be subject to weather
conditions at the Daytona Beach, FL location.
- Due to the nature of this position, qualified candidate must
have a background free of felony convictions, crimes of violence or
moral turpitude. Qualified candidates must also have a clean
driving record, a valid Florida driver’s license, and "D" license
from State Division of Licensing. Each candidate has to meet the
University's standards for approved drivers. Unacceptable driving
records may include the following (for three years from the date of
- More than 3 moving violations and/or accidents in three
- More than 2 moving violations and/or accidents in any
- A major conviction in the last three years, including (but not
limited to) driving while intoxicated, leaving the scene of an
accident, reckless driving, and/or homicide or assault by motor
Please apply online, upload a resume, and provide contact
information for three professional references.