NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity,
vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by
delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and
This position is subject to the availability of funding. The
incumbent is not eligible for Service Professional non-renewal
notice, or Classified Staff layoff or recall status.
The objectives of this NSF-funded project are 4-fold: (1) Quantify
the magnitude and duration of climate legacies on C fluxes in the
western US. (2) Evaluate climatic memory and the timescales over
which climate drivers impact C fluxes. (3) Determine how such
legacy and memory responses vary across drylands in the western US.
(4) Evaluate the importance of legacies and memory (timescales of
influence) for the C cycle. The research associate will assist with
project management (project communication, data / document sharing,
organizing meetings, etc.), oversee data management and data
wrangling efforts, and will assist with programming / coding,
statistical modeling, and using high-performance computing tools.
The research associate will manage project collaboration platforms
(e.g., Google tools, GitHub, etc.) and will oversee archiving and
sharing of project data and results.
Data Management and Data Wrangling - 35%
- Acquire and prepare publicly available datasets.
- Prepare datasets for subsequent statistical analysis.
- Create meta-data and document works flows involving data.
- Oversee data sharing and data publication; contribute to
documentation and preservation of new data.
- Develop, manage, document project databases.
- Assist with publishing project data in public data
Statistical Modeling and Computation - 30%
- Assist with coding and running of statistical models (e.g.,
hierarchical Bayesian and/or machine learning) involving climate,
tree-ring, flux tower, and/or satellite remote sensing data.
- Assist project researchers with implementing computationally
intensive models (e.g., using high-performance computing
Trains and Assists Project Personnel - 10%
- Help to train project personnel in
- Relevant coding, programming, and high-performance computing
- Data documentation, archiving, and management techniques,
- Use of project collaboration and data/document tools.
Plans and Coordinates Project Activities - 10%
- Oversees the organization and planning of project
- Assists in coordinating project activities (e.g., workshops,
mini-conferences, training activities, outreach activities).
Project Management - 10%
- Assist project PI with management of project (e.g., hiring
student workers, organizing meetings, implementing project
communication plans, etc.).
Other - 5%
- Other duties as assigned.
- Masters or similar degree in a relevant field is required, such
as ecology, environmental science, forestry, statistics or data
science, informatics, computing, or similar.
- 4-6 years of research support experience.
- Statistical modeling and coding experience.
- Experience working with large and varied datasets.
- Project management or coordination experience.
- ¿A combination of related education, experience, and training
may be used as an equivalent to the above Minimum
- Bayesian statistical modeling experience.
- Experience applying machine learning methods.
- Knowledgeable of coding languages, particularly R.
- Experience using high performance computing techniques.
- Experience working with tree rings, flux tower data, and/or
remote sensing data.
- Excellent data management skills.
- Good collaborative skills and team-working abilities.
- Good oral communication skills.
- Experience training, teaching, or mentoring students, staff, or
- Experience working with large datasets.
- Organized, responsive, and reliable.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of the subject
- Organizational and project management skills.
- Leadership, coordination, and/or supervision skills.
- Data collection, processing, and analysis skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
and Google Suite (documents, sheets, etc.)
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships.
- Communicates effectively.
- Possesses strong problem solving, organizational, and
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the
following: a criminal background investigation, an employment
history verification and a degree verification (in some cases)
prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a
fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the
state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal
E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new
employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year
Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result
of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery
reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed
calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU
uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report
crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the
Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual
Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this
campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire
safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing
and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you
would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the
NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the
department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Anticipated salary range is $54,779 to $68,474. Annual salary
commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair
Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or
compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an
excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and
vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement
System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and
10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and
qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is
available on the Human
Resources benefits website
. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free
campus. Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis,
renewable each 6 months according to
terms of the Conditions of Professional Service
offered a position will be eligible for state health plans
(including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible
on the first day of the pay period following their
enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31
days from their start date to enroll in benefits. If a new employee
chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona
State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that
accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following
6 months after the new employee's start date. New employees who
choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which
is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed
staff, will begin to participate on the first day of employment.
Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the
ORP will begin on the first day of employment.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity
for professional development. New
employee on-boarding training
includes courses to be completed
within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship
for this position.
January 3, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on
this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the
"Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you
need assistance completing your application there are instructions
available on the Human Resources website
or in person in the
Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus
- on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable
accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact
the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, DR@nau.edu
, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities,
veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Know Your Rights Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps,
and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606800&PostingSeq=1